Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

pmhowe, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 14 »

The BIG TILT!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Ready to lift and tilt with the Cherry Picker. The chain is wrapped around the frame and hooked to the lift arm.
Resized Image

This is a view of the distance from the picker lift arm and the driver side door sheet metal. This is as close as it gets because as the lift progresses, the body moves away.
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Notice that the maTILTas are starting to load and are hanging in there just fine.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:30
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: The BIG TILT!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
There are no pictures of the intermediate tilt positions because we (Lance, Lou & I) were too busy dealing with the actual tilt. The Clipper was in a variety of intermediate tilt positions for about 1 hour while we figured out "minor" issues. For example, to get the Cherry Picker to move smoothly forward as the Clipper tilted, we ended up putting the front casters on an old, flat metal Firebird hood I had. The exercise ruined that hood, but I wasn't going to use it anyway.

Here are pictures of the tilted Clipper "after the fact." We restrained it with a tow strap hooked to Lance's Saturn. Lance modulated the movement towards vertical after it reached balance point with the Saturn's foot brake.

Resized Image

Here's the B-Pillar stand sandwiched between the Clipper and the ground:
Resized Image

The Cherry Picker temporarily restraining the flipped Clipper. You can see the flat metal Firebird hood under the picker's front casters (click on image to enlarge to see the damage to the hood).
Resized Image

Here's the rear view of the Clipper in it's final flipped position restrained by a pair of triangulating 2x4s:
Resized Image

Ditto the front:
Resized Image

The Clipper can now easily be used for header prototype and production fitment (once the spider webs are removed).
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I stand by post # 49!

Posted on: 2013/7/14 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
KevinAZ post #49 Quote:
Craig............you are one wild and crazy guy. But you are definitely pushing the envelope here in my opinion. I'm concerned - just saying.

Maybe so, but hey -- Mission Accomplished! And, the maTILTas performed PERFECTLY -- not a squeak, creak, or crack out of them despite supporting 4000lbs for over an hour while we had the Clipper in mid-tilt.

Lou, who is my helper who I pay for his time refused to take any money (4 hours worth) because he had such a good time. Too bad you weren't here too.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/14 16:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Congrats on the movement without injury or damage!

One thought... Has the motor and trans shifted to the ground this throwing off the spacing to the left and right to fit headers when horizontal?

I'm also glad that old rubber is holding that motor and trans.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 18:03
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Cli55er Quote:
Congrats on the movement without injury or damage!

One thought... Has the motor and trans shifted to the ground this throwing off the spacing to the left and right to fit headers when horizontal?

I'm also glad that old rubber is holding that motor and trans.

Hank,

I think that the motor/trans is in the correct position, but thanks for the Q as I'll check it against my Pat to make sure.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/14 18:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lance and Koni
See User information
What an amazing time, when Craig mentioned we were going to tilt the cars on the side, I thought whatever your nuts, and being part of this project has opened my eyes!!! WE Put a Packard on its side to fit headers. come on!!!!!! I thought I was just going to learn a little bit about Packards and now well, after a wonderful days work, and Criag's imagination, there is a Packard on its side so we can commence the header project!!!

Craig called me last night to prepare for this event, and I told him all the pressure is on you, Its not my car!! and such a well laid out plan and execution, I WANT TO SEE WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT!!!

Craig Your a Genus!! no more crawling under the car!!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/14 18:19
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lance and Koni
See User information
I thought for sure working with wood all my life that the wood was going to make some king of noise, nothing at all

Posted on: 2013/7/14 18:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955-56 V-8 headers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

Posted on: 2013/7/14 23:48
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have to laud Lance and Lou for their effort today on "Flipping the Clipper". Those guys are studly troopers!

When we started the "flip" at 9AM it was 85F (we started the effort at 6AM when it was 75F), and when we finished at 10AM it was 90F. It was hard physical work the whole way with only a few water breaks. I've had paid guys walk away from a job in lesser conditions, but those two guys (who were not paid) stuck with it and we got the job done. BTW, the high today was 107F. Not a day for wimps.

I was probably the "mad dog Englishman in the mid day sun", to paraphrase a noted quotation. No excuse for me.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/15 0:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved