Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 197

Dbedsole, happy, TxGoat, 37Blanche, Digger Dave, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Authenticity vs. Modification
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
But I couldn't pass up the Givenchy after a year and a half of passing on much worse condition much higher priced Packards, Lincolns, and Imperials.

I have a 1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy Edition. Are you needing a parts car? Everything complete and working. Engine/Trans in in good shape (460ci.)
Needs paint, a new vinal top and a leak fixed in the power steering/ break booster system. Otherwise in good drivable shape. Non opped it because i was afraid it wouldn't pass smog in Calif because it needed exhaust work. Always passed previously.

If you are interested send me a PM.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 11:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
Quote:

Bob1951 wrote:
I have a 1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy Edition. Are you needing a parts car?
If you are interested send me a PM.

Thanks, PM sent

Posted on: 2009/4/23 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Portlandon- how the hell are you. You better stop arguing on the this site because I know where you work

My opinion is I like authenticity, but I'm not going cry over someone rodding a car. I don't have any desire to own a rodded car. And I'm definitely not going to fret over someone doing a 6V to 12 V conversion. I actually got a lot of rare spare parts from a person who did a 32 Packard hot rod so I'm happy from that rodding effort. I spent many hours making sure my 32 restoration was authentic (at least what I thought was authentic) including the correct bolt heads. I know most people in our Packard club, don't know and don't care about the bolt heads. However I did on this car. I spent an arm and a leg for a correct fuel pump I found at Hershey. It really doesn't make a difference to others, but to me it did. So that me and not everyone is like me...Thank god!

I struggle with authenticity on my 1912 cadillac. It's 95% correct and to most people, they wouldn't know what has been modified. And you know me, I'm resisting the urge to turn it from a very nice driver where I don't have to worry where I park it or people scratching it, to 100 point show car.

In regards to your comment about your car club as I was a member of your club. Knowing the members, I can't imaging anyone driving the new members away. However I only attended one meeting last year, so I didn't have much interaction in the past year.

It's tough sometimes because seems like every club has it's problem child. We lost a potential member because he saw my club's problem child in action. I tried to convince him that we weren't all like him. So even though he said everyone else he met was nice, the one unpleasant experience drove him away. You need to join our club. 50 is a young age for us

Posted on: 2009/4/25 2:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
My first job out of high school was at a place in Dearborn (MI) that sold Ford all of their "trash and trinkets", otherwise known as advertising specialities. The company, A.I.Morrison, inc. put out a 105 item catalogue with everything from ashtrays, executive desk sets, golf towels, pens, mugs, glasses, etc. (you get the idea)
One of the side things they did for FoMoCo were the custom-engraved dash plaques for the desinger series Lincolns. As I recall there was a Bill Blass, Givenchy, Yves St. Laurent and another designer I can't remember now. Each has a gold dash plaque my friend Gary would engrave per the coupon mailed in from the owner's manual. They also had a mother and daughter who would make these three-inital monogram plaques for Lincoln owners, a chrome frame that had three rectangular depressions, they would peel 'n stick the initals from huge bins of photo-etched plates. If the owner indicated no middle inital they would put a Lincoln star in the center. These were also made from the mailed in coupon from the owner's manual.
Haven't thought of that for years, for good reason!

Posted on: 2009/4/25 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
tbirdman said:Quote:
Portlandon- how the hell are you. You better stop arguing on the this site because I know where you work

Hello Ken!

I haven't seen you forever! But I guess when you sell your T-bird it kind of explains it. Guess you better change your name.

Yes, you have caught me in rare form being a total Jerk, and kind of blew my top. It is immortalized here for all to see and it is my shame.

About the club meetings. Things have changed since you've left. The president spot is unfilled. They are talking about doing another international here in '11 which has the troops restless. There are a couple of old timers (whose names I won't mention)giving grief to 2 of the newer under 25 guys who drove their cars to the meetings. The cars aren't beautiful but atleast they drive them and it's all they can afford. Its been ironed out for now, but not without alot of smoothing out some egos & ruffled feathers.

How is your Cadillac? There is a big change from polishing chrome bumpers to cleaning up brass & nickle isn't there? Who would have thought your newest classic car would be a '32 Packard? Have you registered it in the Registry here? You should as it's a beauty. I didn't know if you knew but Reid died last week. I thought of you the other day because the last time I saw him was at the last club meeting you went to when the 3 of us drank that beer you brought.

Stop in the shop, I've been curious as to what your up to. Matt wants to show you his new toy, a 1962 M code Sports Roadster Tri-power, the only one built in Emberglo. Yes it is real, we have the Gate release tag & it is legit. There is also a not so amusing tale about getting it home from California that involves a major traffic accident.

And you are right. I do need to join the local Packard Club. I found PackardInfo.com & since than, never felt I needed to join a club. This place has it all, and the only trouble makers are me & Pete. The T-bird club keeps me busy enough. Your youngest member is 50? Does that mean I have to wait 18 years to join?

Good to hear from you tbirdman.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Portlandon,

I can't believe you got caught up in the flames because I know we had discussed the issue of you providing advice advice to the T-Bird forum and some of the inconsiderate posters. Even though you had great knowledge about Birds, you were afraid to provide advice because that forum erupted on a regular basis.Posters were regularly bashed. So everyone I know Portlandon pretty well (He took plenty of my money) and that wasn't Portlandon. I think Portlandon forgot to take his medicine when he erupted.

I'm the Prez of the local PI Club and we are averaging about 30 members per meeting and 7 cars driven to the meeting. We had a one day tour in Feb where we had 40 attendees and 20 cars. We don't discriminate on age so come on over. The website is Parckards of Oregon.

I'm curious who is giving the kids a hard time. I'll have to give you a call. The only person I gave a hard time is when Frank brought his car to the Oct Expo show with filthy windows. I thought that was a poor refection (no pun intended) on the club. Anyway, I think the Interneational may be hard to pull off without Eric again working is butt off.

"1962 M code Sports Roadster Tri-power, the only one built in Emberglo." I will have to come by and see it though you are starting to sound like BJ with rarity statements tied to paint. I think my 32 Packard was the only 903 Roadster delivered in Connecticutt without a heater

I'll most likely will be at the Mt Pleasant Oregon City car show tomorrow. Don't you live over that way?

Posted on: 2009/4/25 22:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Authenticity vs. Modification ( the title of this thread).

I've been waiting for someone else to present the following debate but it looks like i will have to do it.

First of all the purists of authenticity are the most important allies in the world of collectibles. MOSTLY because their cars and knowledge stand as a benchmark for us all to asymptoticaly achieve with our collectibles.

But the purists are not without their dark side. How many good to excellent sedans have been robbed of parts and then scrapped JUST to restore a hard top, convertible or other premium model?????

So the purists tend to sing the somg of 'historical preservation' while scrapping good lower models just to preserve some rust hole of a premier hulk they found somewhere.

WITNESS the tri-5 chevies. How many chev 4 dr. sedans do u see compared to HT's and 2dr sedans??????? 56 chev production figures were about 1.5 KK if i remeber rite. WHAT HAPPEN TO ALL OF THOSE SEDANS?????

Even recently we had a post here at P'info.com hawking their eBay ad for a 55 Carrib with a 400 PARTS CAR. The 400 is a very nice car.

There are other dark sides to the purists too. They are not all that high in their ivory tower of preservation as they believe themselves to be.

There other aspects of the purist dark side too. Anyone else care to carry it on???? Why do i always have to be the asshole??? GUFAW- hahahahaha

Posted on: 2009/4/27 10:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keith, I think the main difference is between drivers vs. show cars. If it's a car you plan on taking to shows to win points and trophies, then it SHOULD be 100% correct in every way possible. If it's a car you plan on driving a lot and enjoying like they were meant to be enjoyed, then a little bit of "modification" to improve safety and driveability is ok too. The problem lies in each of the owners of said cars not understanding the intentions of the other owner. Neither one is bad, but having a snobby attitude towards either one is ridiculous and extremely childish. I personally appreciate both types of cars, and have gotten turned off by both types of owners at different car shows. The only thing that irks me is when someone put a modern V8 engine in a Packard, that just turns my stomach, but I just walk on by without looking at the rest of the car. Snobbish? Not really, it's just that that sort of thing doesn't do anything for me and tells me the owner likes to take the easy way out when it comes to powerplants. This is entirely just my opinion, however.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 10:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
There was Bill Blass, Givenchy, Cartier, Pucci and I think Valentino later on in the 80's. I don't recall a Yves St. Laurent, but I'm not interested in the 1980 and later cars. The designer package was basically a specific color combination with some optional items made standard. So I don't really see how anyone can say that they are tacky. There were some nice color combos, and some not so nice. I have seen plenty of bad color combos on all kinds of cars including Packards. Also anyone that thinks the designer Lincolns are tacky obviously has not seen a Gucci Cadillac Seville. They make a Levi Gremlin look tasteful.

Also, I was just at a Packard meet this weekend. Very nice people and event. I'm sure there are plenty of people that make negative comments about my friend's Bayliff. But at least they welcome him and don't make negative comments or insult him to his face. Most young people are not even interested in cars. Those that are, are usually interested in tuner cars. The few that do like old cars generally want Mustangs, Camaros, or a rod. So when some young people join the club with their not so nice Packard that they are working on, or ask questions on a forum, I think it is completely unacceptable for some idiot in the club to be insulting them and driving them away. The average age of the Packard Club members is getting quite old. Not an insult, just a fact from what I have seen. So would these people rather see a young guy with a Packard that needs work, or Packards being chopped up and turned into rods or stripped for 1956 taillights and parts and then junked? Because if they can't be pleasant to young people interested in Packards enough to join a club or post on forum, that will be the fate of many of them after their current owners are no longer around. So I don't see why anyone should have to apologize for reprimanding those members that drive people away. In fact it should be done more.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Ok I went to see Portlandon yesterday in person. There will be no more trouble from Don I got a chance to catch up with him. We reminisce about the days when I could by cheap parts from him for cheap for my T-Bird though I thought they were exspenive at the time. No such luck in Packerdom.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 10:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved