Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 186

kevinpackard, Ozstatman, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Beating a Dead horse - 6v AC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Here are some pics of what i have, note that the 50 wide belt balancer has the pulley to the rear and the water pump pulley that matches seems to be dished more to reach back then the two water pump pulleys that mate together that i'm holding up from the 53.

Clean parts are what's going in from the 53, rusty pics that are hard to see are what's on the 50 288 (AT) right now.

From what i see here Eric, you're saying that i have to use the existing 288 balancer and thus i can't use the piggyback pulleys on a '50 regardless of motor and therefore there's no way to drive any accessories?

As for side mounting...it looks like it'd be forward of the steering box slightly but the frame is VERY far from the motor...the ears that are the motor mounts on the 53 motor would have no hope of reaching the frame rails like they did on the 53. It looks like it could be done with lots of fabricating, but i have no plans to go that way with this car.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.90 KB)
1420_4b4d196801a35.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (69.75 KB)
1420_4b4d199ec0a16.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (87.66 KB)
1420_4b4d19b81cf83.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (59.65 KB)
1420_4b4d1a27119ac.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (87.78 KB)
1420_4b4d1a33eaf3d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/1/12 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, random info from my 68 Pontiac AC service manual that uses an A6 compressor, i believe:

"The coil has 3.85 ohms resistance at 80 degrees F and should not demand more than 3.2 amperes of 12 V.D.C."

So 5 amps isn't that out of line i wouldn't think if someone wanted to try the $99 voltage converter.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah, but how big is the FUSE in the 68 Pontiac system???

Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'd just use the front mounts from the '50 and be done with it. I know it can be done because I have a friend with a 359 in his '50 using the original 288 balancer, timing chain and gears, and front mount. You HAVE to use the early water pump with this setup, as the later one goes lower for the lower hood line of the '51 and up cars.

You can try the 327 balancer, but I'm worried that even with the '53 water pump pulley on the '50 water pump it may not line up, YMMV. I'm thinking that the 327 balancer is big enough that it will rub on the front mount upside down "U" piece. It may not, and you may be fine. But I'm thinking that you'll have to at least use a 288/327 5 main balancer on your 327 9 main. If you need one, I have one. Since all these engines are internally balanced I don't see a major problem swapping them over. The only engine I'd worry about doing that to is the 356.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
As for that converter, (that Phil listed) it's not that expensive, it's in Australian dollars, so $78 AD is what, $5 US? LMFAO!

Seriously, I'd be worried about shipping back home to the US on that puppy. It cost me $11 to ship a pen from Aus, whereas it's $3 to ship one from England.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ahh, I was looking at a different converter. Australia should move closer and become a part of the world economy!

Before i yank the 288 out i'll measure how much clearance i have to the upside down U piece and anything in the way from the balancer.

Since the other motor will be on a stand and the 288 out, it should be no problem to mix and match parts and take measurements. I do have a new spare 50 water pump because the one on the 288 now is about to go.

If i can run the two thin belts and have a chance to use accessories, so be it and i'll try AC. If not, no big loss, as the other toys have it and it wasn't miserable without it, i just wanted to do it for the technical accomplishment (and so the better half would want to take it out more in the summer :) )

Quote:

But I'm thinking that you'll have to at least use a 288/327 5 main balancer on your 327 9 main

Isn't the balancer on the car now a 288 5 main balancer? If neither works of course i'll turn to your spare parts cache first to purchase one. I'm a week from getting the 327 on the stand and longer before swapping motors because i'm working on a Pontiac 428 for the tempest at the same time. Thankfully the shop is heated, i have too much to do to wait for spring to come so i can get started!

Posted on: 2010/1/13 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Isn't the balancer on the car now a 288 5 main balancer? If neither works of course i'll turn to your spare parts cache first to purchase one. I'm a week from getting the 327 on the stand and longer before swapping motors because i'm working on a Pontiac 428 for the tempest at the same time. Thankfully the shop is heated, i have too much to do to wait for spring to come so i can get started!

Yes, but it has the wide belt. If you're wanting to use a narrow belt plus adding a pulley to the crankshaft you won't be able to use the '50 288 pulley you'll have to use a '51 and up pulley, and not one from a 9 main engine.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
GOTCHA! I thought we were concluding that you just couldn't have a narrow belt in a 50 with the add on pulleys. I'll check clearances when the time comes and probably contact you about another pulley if this one doesn't clear (probably won't, looks tight in there)

Posted on: 2010/1/13 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
GOTCHA! I thought we were concluding that you just couldn't have a narrow belt in a 50 with the add on pulleys. I'll check clearances when the time comes and probably contact you about another pulley if this one doesn't clear (probably won't, looks tight in there)

No, you don't. I'm saying that you can't use an add on pulley like you have with the '50 balancer. AND, I'm saying I don't think your 9 main balancer will work on a front engine mounted engine. You're over thinking the problem and trying to out think me, it's not going to happen.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'm sorry, i worded it wrong. I meant gotcha, i see that in order to have narrow dual belts on my 50 i'll need your balancer and my new motor and the front end gear off the old 288. I'll try the 327's existing balancer because it's here and to measure some stuff, but when it doesn't fit i'll get ahold of you for the correct one.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved