Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 190

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 18 »

Re: 1948 Super Eight Resurrection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
A tip of the hat and many thanks to Packardtaximan for sending me a used water pump housing for only the price of shipping!

Is this community incredible, or what!

Posted on: 2012/4/1 16:18
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Well, I've been working a little on the '48, and it's getting closer to the day when she hits the road.

The water pump has been installed, along with the cleaned out distribution tube, and the entire cooling system flushed while the freeze plugs were out.

Since I had to remove the generator and starter, I decided to take them down to West Broward Alternator, in Davie, Florida, to have Chris check them out. This is a very small shop that is filled with rows of shelves made with two by tens sitting on stacks of concrete blocks, covered with hundreds of alternators and starters of every make and model.

The interesting thing was that on Friday, when I decided to come by, they just happened to have another '48 Packard generator that a customer had dropped off earlier in the day. What are the chances of that?

Anyway, they tested my units and they checked out fine. Chris commented that the other guy's generator didn't spin up like mine did... the way they test them is to apply juice to the terminals, and it will take off like a motor if all is okay. He didn't charge me a cent, so I drove back to my shop and cleaned an painted them both, thankful that I didn't have to spend any more $$ on that!

The holes in the pan are welded up, and I beat out the big dent in the bottom, painted it and reinstalled it with the new one piece gasket.

While the generator and starter were off, I pulled the ignition wiring, distributor, plugs, and throttle linkage so I could clean and paint the top and side of the engine. I'll do the other side when I get around to ordering manifold and valve cover gaskets.

The radiator is about ready to go back in after the repair the radiator shop did, and I'm about to finish the brakes and get her on the road with all of this stuff in tip top shape. I can't wait!

Attach file:

jpg  (87.96 KB)
4371_4f82564c0b1e6.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (53.31 KB)
4371_4f82567378a30.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (49.38 KB)
4371_4f82568ebdff2.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (27.52 KB)
4371_4f8259634a8fc.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (50.56 KB)
4371_4f82598e82e3b.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (32.19 KB)
4371_4f8259a0d883e.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (55.15 KB)
4371_4f8259bf50583.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (41.12 KB)
4371_4f8259cf707cd.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (51.98 KB)
4371_4f8259e2c2f3a.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (59.22 KB)
4371_4f8259f334499.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/4/8 22:36
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Another chore I started today- cleaning the wheel covers. In the utility sink with steel wool and Comet. I think a Brillo pad would work pretty well, too.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.18 KB)
4371_4f825ac7225a8.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (44.14 KB)
4371_4f825ad49b563.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/4/8 22:43
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Nice work joeyearl!!

Posted on: 2012/4/9 11:46
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
Man joey, looks like you have been hard at work. It's looking great man, keep it up.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 11:55
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Drove the '48 for the first time yesterday. I will have to say that the first drive revealed more issues that will have to be dealt with, and most of them are aimed directly at my depleted wallet.

Before I can truly assess the driveability of this vehicle, new tires will be the first order of business. I'm sure you all can imagine the amount of shaking and instability four one-quarter century old bias ply tires can provide after resting in one spot for the duration of hibernation. I'm trying to decide between the Coker bias or the radials. I know it will drive much better with radials, but the period correct bias ply tires might be the best choice.

The front suspension is suspect in my estimation, although it's hard to tell with the tire problem. I do know I need at the least, outer tie rod ends.

I had thought initially the car has less miles on it than it now appears. (If you are a Alabama Crimson Tide fan as I am, you may understand why less miles can be an unpleasant thing), so I'm discovering that there are more miles on this old girl. The odometer reads 33,177, and I was told by the previous owner that his grandfather rarely drove the car, and it has been parked since 1985, but upon further examination, one of the lube stickers I finally made out to read showed 33,177 in 1959! So the speedometer has been inoperative since then. Oh well. That's probably why the overdrive doesn't work.

My work is cut out for me!

Posted on: 2012/4/15 9:10
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Joey,
It is very interesting to read about your project on a similar car to mine. I have a Series 23 Touring Sedan. I started with a running car that was supposed to be road ready. In fact it has been a series on fixit projects starting from the most series (no brakes), and winding down to the small ones (gas gage did not work). This has been going about 3 years now. Just to give you a rough idea, I have over $20,000 in repairs so far, and the painting and chrome have yet to be done. I notice you are doing more yourself than I did, so perhaps you won't be spending that much.
Your issues have pretty much been the same as mine. On my car the new tires were $1000 and the complete front and rear suspension rebuild was another $2000. The car runs down the road pretty nice now.
Best of luck and keep the stories coming. I will be happy to give you my experiences as the need arises.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 15:03
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Joey, just reading your posts is like me getting a transfusion of energy. Your enthusiasm is infectious. Reminds me of my first Packard 33 years ago. It was a 49 Deluxe 8 with most of the same issues that you are having. Hang in there and keep the posts coming. I drove my 49 to all 4 borders of the USA and enjoyed almost every mile. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/4/23 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Joey: You can get the red centers for your hub caps from Max Merritt. Fit perfect and not too shiny.

I put Diamond Back radials on my 49 Deluxe and I am very pleased. I saw a car this weekend with American Classic white walls and they were not nearly as nice as mine. The side wall felt dull where the Diamond Backs are very shiny, smooth and bright. Easy to keep clean.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 19:07
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Roger,
Thanks for the kind words. WritIng this blog is a good exercise- it forces one to put thoughts into words, and to do so in such a way as to be entertaining as well as informative and helpful.

Fred,
I know you must be enjoying your 23rd. I hope we can all get together at a meet someday to share rides and stories! It will have to be after I can find the finances for the new Diamondbacks.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 20:43
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved