Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 64 65 66 (67) 68 69 70 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
wouldn't you know i can spin the reactor shaft by hand, with some force, not too bad, but it turns pretty freely.

That tells me that you have a thrust washer problem and it wasn't the bearing all along, which means that you're going to need a new bushing for the one you attacked with the wire brush.

Not what you want to hear, but I've made mistakes like that before as well, you live and you learn.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
YAY! another 25 bucks here i come....damn! but yeah live and learn. but i have to confess.....i couldn't turn the reactor shaft by hand when i just test fitted it in the pump housing with out things together....so still not sure about that bushing. will take it out and measure ID...and ask MAX to measure a new one to see difference....and also compare to old one. i wasn't able to turn it by hand freely till i brushed it down a bit....so not sure.

guess i'll look into that thrust washer issue, guessing i need different thickness or more than one? can't remember how that goes without going back and reading. i'm sure they cost 100 bucks....i think i have a couple from the old TC if they can be reused without harm.

and the tumbler i let it run all day, works pretty good. it gets most off after a few hours, but i run it till things get nice and shinny. there is still some residual clean up that is needed, but i am VERY picky about it being smooth and shiny.....weird i know. i want the bolts to look brand spanking new when i put them in so i polish them too. LOL! i used to sand blast them one at a time...this is way easier...i turn it on and go watch tv or go to work, come back and the blasting was pretty much done for me and it is ready for polishing. nice....

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:17
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
IIRC, the '55s used a spring washer that was known to come apart destroying the insides of the converter. '56 used an actual thrust washer and there's a TSB or SC out on that. Let me do some looking real quick and I'll find it for you.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks bro! getting really tired of reading through pages and pages the last few days. wow, what a headache. appreciate it!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:33
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ok, I got it backwards, '56 had the wave washer, and they reverted to the '55 design. Now, is this the same converter that your old trans had? I'm starting to wonder if you have a mix of parts that may or may not be compatible, as this part of SB-339 makes me nervous: "When parts are required to modify a converter for better end play control, order by individual part numbers and use only Converter Reactor Thrust Spacer, Part No. 450209 and, if required, Converter Reactor Washer, Part No. 470219.

All 1955 Packard model converters were originally assembled without the wave washer and must be serviced in the same manner. Spacer, Part No. 450209 is the original 1955 part and when used without the wave washer No. 6479191 now applies to both the 1955 and 1956 Packard converters as well as 56J Studebaker Golden Hawk models."

My question is, how are you measuring reactor shaft end play?

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I don't really use my tumbled any more, I just use the blast cabinet. In a couple of minutes I can clean an entire basket of bolts, nuts and assorted hardware using 80 grit glass bead. Where the tumbler can take a couple of hours.

I never bought one of the those purpose built hardware baskets, instead I use a stainless wire mesh conical strainer that you can buy in a houseware department of most discount stores. You can get them in different size and shapes and they are pretty cheap and durable. Just make sure to get one with a metal handle as the plastic ones don't hold up. Also that same stainer works great to pour the media through to filter out and debris.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
no parts from the old TC have been used. i have a new clutch and clutch plate though and the two new little sprags from ROSS. all the rest is what was in it when i took it apart. nothing has changed.

i have no way to check reactor end play. i can get the dial indicator and a magnetic holder, but i don't have that tool they show in the pictures to help measure.

Thanks for the help turbo!

i need to do some reading, but i need to rest..my brain is hurting and i think i am loosing information. i need a break.

and bigkev, yes it takes awhile, but i really loath blasting nuts and bolts. i'd rather turn on my machine and go to work and come home with the work done for me. but i will admit if i didn't polish things up afterward i would go with blasting as it really gets it VERY clean that way.

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:52
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, that tool is a PITA to come across, I've yet to see one.

Glad I could help, somewhat!

And, it looks like I need to start saving up for the tools to rebuild Ultramatics like I had originally planned, there might be a business in it, lol!

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
a few things....

1. since it is 'squishing' things as ROSS is explaining, i am guessing that is going to mean i will need a thinner thrust washer. is that a correct assumtion?

2. i wonder if the picture converter end play tool would be a good substitute for the PK-27 K.R. Wilson tool that Packard used. hmmmmmm......may be too thick to fit in the hole though. the Packard one looks to be very small diameter. may be worth buying to try it, idk.

3. does anyone have that Packard end play checking tool that i could borrow and return safely on my life......hmmmmmm maybe....if so PM me.

thanks,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (20.61 KB)
491_4c87c4e6f33e6.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2010/9/8 12:16
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
started fiddling with the waterpump a bit. that plastic impellar didn't last long while trying to get things to come loose. better it come apart there then in my motor though. i ordered an NOS one from Packards1 off ebay for cheap! so no biggie there.

i did notice that the metal press on sleave for the impellar stayed behind.....gonna be a chore getting all that apart. i am trying to just get the rebuild kit instead of the whole pump to save me some money. we'll see how that goes.

i am guessing the impellar comes off, preferably with the nurrelled sleeve, and then you can press out the pump shaft towards the front of the pump? the repair manual says nothing i can see about how to rebuild these units. just gives a schematic of what is inside.

enjoy,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (209.43 KB)
491_4c88eb60a7705.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (199.50 KB)
491_4c88eb7b4901d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/9/9 9:13
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 64 65 66 (67) 68 69 70 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved