Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 185

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 20 »

Re: GearRat's '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Although my 51 does'nt sound near as bad as yours, I sometimes get a little grind and jam going from 1st to 2nd. I've found that making a slight hesitation when shifting helps. So instead of one quick motion from 1st to 2nd, let the gear shift fall into neutral and pause for second before you shift into second. I won't win any drag races soon, but I have less problems when I take my time.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 21:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
I'm wondering if you remembered to adjust and tighten down the positioning rod on the underside of the transmission tailshaft. Seems to me if that's loose you might end up with enough play that the clutch fork could be moving the engine on its mounts and that play could lead to a clutch that's not properly disengaged during a shift.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 8:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Took the Packard for a drive to the local, "Dollar General". Man, it was a lot of fun! It's probably a 2.5 mile round trip but, it is the furthest I have driven my car. I won't be able to go out too far without insurance, registration, and a driver's license. For now I am one happy camper. My brother rode with me and we picked up a few things.

I don't have any problems with the gearshift lever getting jammed, the car must like me (of course!). I am getting much more familiar with this car as far as knowing how large it is and not stalling it. Speedometer, odometer work, which is really nice. When I first got the car the mileage read 15292.5 which I thought couldn't be correct, but might actually be.

I'm looking forward to take the car out again. I have patiently dealt with every problem that has plagued me on this car. Sometimes I would get angry or down when things just didn't seem to go my way, but it's days like this that I was dreaming of. Something so simple as driving a car 2 miles to a store brought me such joy. Never take it for granted.

Happy Packarding!

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/12/10 1:22
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Have a look for wear on the pedal rubbers. If it is a 20,000 mile car there isn't much wear . if it a 120,000 mile car then one corner of each of the brake and clutch pedal rubbers will be definitely worn, depending on how tall the driver is. Just my thoughts and personal experience anyway. It sounds like your earlier problems were concerning your personal relationship with the vehicle, not a problem with the vehicle mechanicals. Best regards and be careful without the licence, insurance etc. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/12/10 2:47
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Have a look for wear on the pedal rubbers. If it is a 20,000 mile car there isn't much wear . if it a 120,000 mile car then one corner of each of the brake and clutch pedal rubbers will be definitely worn, depending on how tall the driver is. Just my thoughts and personal experience anyway. It sounds like your earlier problems were concerning your personal relationship with the vehicle, not a problem with the vehicle mechanicals. Best regards and be careful without the licence, insurance etc. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/12/10 2:47
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Here is a neat old video from 1935, a few Packards in there.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2JPvKaZc2GI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2013/2/21 20:21
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
GearRat,

Thanks for posting. Perhaps someone has better eyes than I do right now. At 2:52 high end car dealership shows up with car lot across side street. Packard? Looks slightly out of focus to me and looks a little earlier style wise/ Dealer used lot?

Sixth viewing, I think new cars in 35. At 2:53 entrance to dealership-name plaques kind of look like they spell Packard. 2:55 sure looks like Packard grille

Posted on: 2013/2/21 20:34
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey guys!

Well... I vacuumed out the '52 today, went to remove the back seat bottom cushion and knocked a piece of the body off, LOL. It was where some really bad rust was, and they had used wire mesh and bondo to repair it. I was wanting to make some patch panels and what happened today gave me an excuse to do so. Used a flux welder, and copied the contours under the drivers door on a piece of 26 gauge. I'm looking forward to doing more on the car! At least it didn't make it look worse.

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (66.85 KB)
3628_512d78e585e1c.jpg 750X563 px

jpg  (61.66 KB)
3628_512d78f0cb928.jpg 750X563 px

jpg  (36.62 KB)
3628_512d78fb1b698.jpg 750X563 px

jpg  (62.30 KB)
3628_512d79082aec1.jpg 750X563 px

Posted on: 2013/2/26 22:11
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Great looking job on your patch.

Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2013/2/26 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thank you Mr.'Taximan!

I'd say you're a braver man than I am for taking on that project but, the '52 was pretty darn rough when I got it. You'll do fine with that taxi you've got there.

Enjoy it,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2013/2/27 13:50
Garrett

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved