Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
263 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 263

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 18 »

Re: 37 will turn over but not fire.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
If you have a spark tester that is the best.Or put a spark plug wire with a bare end on it on a plug. Hold the bare wire 1/8 inch from the block.Have some one turn the motor over.If the spark wont jump that gap your coil is weak and wont fire in the cylinder.Make sure you are insulated from the wire or you will get lit up.And the spark MUST be blue,NOT yellow.I hope this helps.I know you have been thru a lot so far. Brian

Posted on: 2009/10/24 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
To HH and Brian51

okay guys..back from Illinois...went to Sears and Sawbucks and bought a multimeter hopefully this will help diagnose any electrical probl..Dumb ?? Dont understand any of the symbols on this machine..I take it i can use it to test the coil ?? hmmm...for resistance???? dont know where to set the switch or where to put the red and black wires into on the bottom of the multimeter..

Attach file:

jpg  (76.44 KB)
623_4ae78828628fa.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2009/10/27 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Did it come with instructions?

Posted on: 2009/10/27 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
well turbo..

yes it did...

Yup how to put battery in !!! 9 volt lol

1) how check for DC voltage measurements
2) how to check for AC voltage measurements
3) DC current measurements
4) Ac current measurements
5) resistance measurements
6) continuity check
7) diode test
8) battery test (i guess for the energier bunny for 1.5v or 9 volt

thats the capabilityes soooo I dont really know what which # above i should use to start checking.

I knew there was some reason I was made mem. director instead of our club's Tech advisor...LOLOLO

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
noticed something..when i used to turn ignition switch to the on position, my guages esp the amp meter would move a touch, i guess to show current flowing thru system. now when i do it, none of the neeedles move fuel included. Does that give us any clue?? or maybe the voltage regulator? even though im showing 'fire' in the plugs..maybe not enough voltage or amps..hmmmm

Posted on: 2009/10/28 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
If the points are open you should see not see much if any movement on te amp gauge. When the points close you should see the gauge move to the discharge side. when you turn the engine over with the starter the gauge should move as the points open and close. Maybe the points are open when you did the test? With no movement in the fuel gauge I would suspect a faulty ignition switch or a bad battery connection perhaps.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
I think there is hope..made another new coil wire. battery is fully charged..turned it over. it tried to catch several times.starter would then do the normal zinnnnggggggg(waited then tried again..now i wonder if the fuel is too rich?? The auto choke is all the way closed..maybe I should open the butterfly just a hair or so to improve the fuel air mixture. now im sure once it does kick over a slight hand adj on the distributor will be all it needs. and of course tweeking the carb for fuel adj.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Took snopacks advice when making ANOTHER new coil wire (3rdtime..ahmm)..made sure it extended an 1/8 of an inch beyond terminal end so when i crimped it it had a good solid contact

Posted on: 2009/10/28 13:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Remove a spark plug. If it appears wet put it back in. Have someone hold the choke wide open with a screw driver etc. or if alone loosen the screws on the auto choke housing and turn until butterfly is wide open. Hold the throttle wide open and don't touch or pump the gas. Give it a crank and se if it will momentarily fire. If plug is dry replace and assuming the carb has gas in it and the accellerator pump is working, slowly pump the gas pedal once and leave it alone as you turn the engine over.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 13:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved