Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 227

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: Ultramatic push button problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Olds pump pic

Attach file:

jpg  (45.20 KB)
35_4c5b2eb96da2e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/8/5 16:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic push button problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When u get the Packard pump removed do not let it get away from u. Lets take it apart and inspect it carefuly!!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/5 16:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Re: Oldsmobile oil pump conversion kit update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Lets take it apart and inspect it carefuly!!!!

For what should Peter be looking during his inspection? I've had dozens of Packard V8 oil pumps apart and other than driveshaft bore wear, I've never seen anything remarkable.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/5 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe he has an Aller pump. Lets SEE (AS IN WITH OUR OWN 2WO EYES) what Aller ACTUALLY did to the pumps. PI pump maybe too.

It's called Critical Thinking and Analysis.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Peter asked me to update his tests.

1. Oil and engine cold - Car on stands, transmission in gear, running approx 2,000 RPMs shows 50+# at rear of engine at OEM gauge connection and 34# at front of engine at the oil filter fitting.
2. Engine warm - 46# rear and 24# at oil filter

In theory, 24# should be plenty of pressure, but Peter says he still gets intermittent lifter clatter. It comes and goes. Shut off the engine, crank again, fine for a few minutes and clicking resumes.

Any thoughts or suggestions for Peter before he removes his pan to install the Olds conversion?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/13 13:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Were the pressure readings taken while the clicking occurred?

Meanwhile, a previous post in this thread advised that the car had sat for many years. That makes me wonder if there might be a problem with a bit of varnish in one or more of the lifters.

Peter sez he tried a quart of ATF, but how about trying a change of oil with a dose of STP? A a couple of oil changes with STP cleared up the intermittent lifter noise in one of my '56 Patricians, which allegedly had the PI pump installed under the previous owner. Sometimes it just takes a little time for the chemistry to work.

I don't recall any mention of how many miles on this engine, but regardless of the reason for dropping the pan, I'd wanna check all of the crankshaft bearings while the pan is off and before doing anything with the oil pump. If there's a problem of wear there, I'd be wondering about cam bearings, next.

BTW, has anybody ever run into excessive clearance between lifters and their bores in these V8s?

Posted on: 2010/8/13 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
BTW, has anybody ever run into excessive clearance between lifters and their bores in these V8s?

Never. In fact, we just opened an engine a customer had shipped in. It was really nasty inside, lifter faces as worn as any I've seen, but the lifter body was still so tight in the bore, they were difficult to remove by hand.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/13 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try feeding the oil filter from the BACK of the block. At the oil pressure sending unit or the plugged gallery next to it.
If air in the oil is the problem then the above test should prove that by trapping of the emulsified oil early before getting to the lifters.

NONETHELESS i advise using the Olds conversion pump. Eleminating the symptom of lifter clatter does not eleminate problem of worn oil pump which will manifest worse problems later on.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have never heard of nor seen any evidence of lifter bore wear in any engine. Most engines i have torn into were very high mileage engines. Lifter and cam wear YES! But no bore wear.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BH wrote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, a previous post in this thread advised that the car had sat for many years. That makes me wonder if there might be a problem with a bit of varnish in one or more of the lifters.

I agree with Brian on this. MAYBE some chemicals in the oil or an additive will eventually dissolve the varnish, but then again maybe not.

If it takes some extra oil pressure to overcome the varnish, then certainly the Olds pump adaption will fix the noise.

To me, it's a no brainer.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/13 22:59
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved