Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

Re: Here is what happened today. What would you do next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. Probably no sludge. BUT the breaking up of valve seals is an ongoing process. Sludge or no sludge.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 9:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Even as I write this, the oil pan is being removed. With luck, it will be done tomorrow and all my worries will be behind me.....until the new set arrives Wednesday...

Keep your fingers crossed!

Jack, they are saving the filings for you!

Posted on: 2011/9/12 16:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The car is back home!

Picked it up today at noon and went for an afternoon spin here and there for several hours.

+ Oil pressure seems to build slowly when starting up but soon gets past 12 oclock. cruising it sits at 1:00 or even 1:30.

+ No tappet noise today. Keep fingers crossed.

+ Parts were about $400; labor $500 (six hours) FWIW.

+ There were no significant shavings in the pan; just a very small amount of metallic dust which the mechanic called normal.

+ Strangely, the old pump had a vacuum pump; the new one does not...but my wipers were stronger today on dry glass than on wet glass several weeks ago. We had been concerned about amount of vacuum; for now it seems fine....or I could add an electric vacuum pump by Cadillac.....

I'l come back in a few weeks and add anything new.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 22:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Sounds like a successful surgery.

The oil pressure reading sounds about the same as when I was supplying the conversions. You've got to like that!

Just for reference, a DIY in the USA can expect to spend $300 for the conversion, plus add another $150 if going to electric wipers. Better than parking your 55-56 Packard V-8 because of low oil pressure.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/14 1:26
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Actually parts were just about $400: pump and kit from Jack vines $360 (I think) and another $35 or so for the pan gaskets....

Posted on: 2011/9/14 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The vacuum may have been worn out, manyu are. Suggest you put Rainex or similar on windshield, rain glides off and the windsheild gets very slippery and wipers zoom . Unadvertised benefit is that parking tickets blow off in the slightest breeze.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Unadvertised benefit is that parking tickets blow off in the slightest breeze.

You mean that there policemen out there so insensitive and heartless as to write a parking ticket for a Packard?

What is this world coming to???????????????????

Posted on: 2011/9/14 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
You mean that there policemen out there so insensitive and heartless as to write a parking ticket for a Packard?

What is this world coming to???????????????????

Will not happen. I've been stopped twice in my 55 Pat for going over the posted speed limit. Mostly, the cop just wanted to talk about the car.

I imagine the same thing occurs with parking tickets. Unless Fred lives somewhere where there is a quota. Maybe in NJ, there is, but in NV there's not.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/14 21:03
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
.......where there is a quota.

Our esteemed police chief said there is no such thing as a quota in the police force---and then he went on to say if one officer wrote 100 citations a month and another did 10, he would be talking to one of them and find out why the difference. After budget hearings, he left no doubt as to which one he would be talking to. The city council was going to eliminate the officers in traffic detail and put them policing other crime areas. Chief stood before them and literally told them they were crazy to even consider it. "Do you people have any idea how much revenue those twenty officers bring into this city?? And you want to eliminate the program?? Are you nuts?? But there are no quotas and we certainly have no quota here. If you believe that, then I have a few bridges for sale--anyone interested?

Posted on: 2011/9/14 21:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
According to my sources the city of Troy mich fired about 1/2 the police force so they could build a f'in library. Talk about a brainless move. With the I'net who needs the archaic library anymore????? Also a law that (on a sign entering city limits) that BOTH hands must be visible on the stering wheel at all times. Gotta get a permit to change a hot water tank in the house.

Localy we now have 'concerned citizens' who report 'dangerous situations'. Most of them moved in here recently from the city. An invalid in a wheel chair in the front yard enjoying the afternoon is visited by 2 police cars and EMS from over 12 miles away. SOme passer by thot he shouldn;t be out there.

Just like the Iraqi war, the dumbing down of Amereica is Mission Accomplished!!!

Posted on: 2011/9/14 21:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved