Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

kmack58, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: Oldsmobile oil pump conversion kit update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Try feeding the oil filter from the BACK of the block. At the oil pressure sending unit or the plugged gallery next to it. If air in the oil is the problem then the above test should prove that by trapping of the emulsified oil early before getting to the lifters.

Can you give more detail on how this would work? The bypass filter only handles a small percentage of the oil each cycle, thus can't have a significant effect on aeration. However, feeding it at the rear would definitely lower the oil pressure the rest of the engine would see.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/14 9:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
WRT to the possibility of varnish, I only offered the use of STP and allowance of time as a less-invasive attempt to removing, inspecting, and cleaning the lifters. Of course, without seeing/hearing the engine run, I can't judge whether it's worth the risk of time as I was able to with my old Pat.

Then, I only brought up lifter-to-bore clearance for a couple of reasons.

One, a friend of the family (who had worked as a mechanic, decades ago) was visiting, and when talk turned to cars, in general, the subject of lifter noise, in general, came up. He told of a Chevy straight six that had lifter noise that the shop couldn't cure, not even with oil pumps. When the factory rep got involved, he advised to run TWO quarts overfull, which cured it. He pressed the rep on the matter, who said the problem was excessive lifter-to-bore clearance.

Second, I was walking through a car cruise, recently, and overheard part of a conversation where one fella was talking about oversize lifters, and another was talking about bushing the lifter bores. Mind you, I don't know what engien or even era they were talking about; I was just passing by, not involved.

All that got me wondering, since I don't recall anyone ever exploring such and avenue with the Packard V8.

While the Olds HV pump conversion clearly throws more oil at the normally controlled leak of an engine oiling system that has lost some control, I'm concerned that such a cure may only be masking a greater problem in this case.

What puzzles me, in Peter's case, is the relatively good pressure readings with its existing pump. I'm no master motor builder, but if a little oil chemistry doesn't solve it, I bet you're gonna have to inspect the lifters and perhaps the rest of the valvetrain to get to the root of this one.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Air is much thinner than oil. Therefore aereated oil will pass to the filter much faster and greater quantites than oil without air. The idea is relieve the air BEFORE it gets to the rest of the engine.

As for it lowering the oil pressure then yes. But i offered the process as a test procedure. In fact, i have ran the Olds pump AND the filter feed as described above now fpr over 3 years with no problems. But, yes, it does drop the oil pressure to 30-35 psi. COLD HOT Hi-speed, Lowspeed doesn't seem to matter much. HOWEVER, i have OTHER mods to the engine oiling system of my car that opens it up to a lot more oil delivery so lower pressure in my case should be expected.

NOTE that BOTH of my oil pressure gauges (electric and mech) take readings from the FRONT of the engine.

edit: Actualy 3hree gauges. A mech gauge mounted directly at the filter too AND a shut off valve for the filter.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 12:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
pics

Attach file:

jpg  (42.31 KB)
35_4c66d3702caf3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.77 KB)
35_4c66d3f5565f3.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2010/8/14 12:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Air is much thinner than oil. Therefore aereated oil will pass to the filter much faster and greater quantites than oil without air. The idea is relieve the air BEFORE it gets to the rest of the engine.

Just trying to get my head around how the aerated oil knows to go to the filter instead of the other sixty-four similar sized pressurized orifices in the engine?

Not saying it doesn't work that way, but I need to think about it more to figure out how it does it.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/14 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The red lines in the pic show the main oil gallery up the back of the block and the cross gallery to the left bank.
Air rises to the top of main oil gallery (just under the sending unit) and collects. There is NO where for it to go until it builds up and passes to the LEFT cross over gallery FIRST>

Look at the pic below. Air RISES. It gets trapped. Send it off to the filter.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.36 KB)
35_4c6740c985e15.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/8/14 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
The red lines in the pic show the main oil gallery up the back of the block and the cross gallery to the left bank. Air rises to the top of main oil gallery (just under the sending unit) and collects. There is NO where for it to go until it builds up and passes to the LEFT cross over gallery FIRST> Look at the pic below. Air RISES. It gets trapped. Send it off to the filter.

Wonder why that never occurred to Packard engineers?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/14 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know. There is always much to wonder why about. Why didn't eng'ring plug the pressure relief port at the beginning? Why did Eng'ring allow for such a weak pump shaft support area. Why ignition sw. bezels that break so ez???? Why trunk lock mechanisms break because they are so flimsy. THis list could go on and on. Maybe by 55 or 56 all of the good senior eng'eers had gone and that left only jr eng'eers to answer to a refrigerator salesman standing around with his hands in his pockets steering the helm. I mean after all, we have recently seen such derelects like Harvard bred R. Wagoner at the helm of GM.

Many things to wonder about. But is there really any wonder at all????

Posted on: 2010/8/14 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IF we could contrive some kind of simple float device to replace the oil sending unit with then we could test for areated oil in the 1.5 inch trap region just under the sending unit.

Posted on: 2010/8/15 6:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One of problems with my air trap theory is that why would the air ever leave the trap area????? The air would have to travel DOWN. The only possibility that i can come up with is that the air builds up and is at the same pressure as the oil pressure. When oil pressure drops a little, or the air heats up then the air column suddenly expands DOWN to meet the right and/or left longitudinal main oil gallery and pushes on thru far enuf to get to the rest of the engine.

OR the quantity of air builds up enuf to displace enuf oil far enuf below the main longitudinal oil gallery intersections and thus gets pushed on thru. This would cause a momentary loss or oil delivery to the longitudinal galleries.

Posted on: 2010/8/15 6:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved