Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 236

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Re: Brake Upgrade
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure about the spindles on the '53 an prior, but I know the required bolt pattern would be different. The 54-56 juniors use a 5 x 4.5 pattern. Which I believe crosses over to mid 70's GM or Ford truck rotor pattern which is typically used in these conversions.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 22:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
I don't know what the seniors bolt pattern is but I believe the patterns are flexible. If you noticed my rotors there are extra holes, that is where they punched in 5X4.75 instead of the correct 5X4.5 (which is same as 73 Ford Torino and 73 Plymouth Satelite) pattern which was corrected at their expense. I believe they start with blank rotors and go from there, I will also check this with the other info needed.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Packard Senior is 5x5". The issue is usually if there is enough material for that larger pattern. On the commercial rotor that was used by Graves Machine (mid-1970s Chevy and Mopar), there was insufficient material.

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/DiscBrakesFrontOutsideView.jpg

Posted on: 2009/3/22 4:08
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Rowdy, how thick is the plate that bolts the caliper to the spindle? It looks like 1/4" or 3/8", just from me eyeballing it through cyberspace.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 3:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Eric.
I'm thinking 1/4" but when I remove wheel to trim a little off of the steering arm I will measure and post. Have been driving around town since install and it sure is a great feeling whenever I lightly touch the brake to feel them actually wanting to stop the car.

Answers to post #71, the rotors are 1980 Camaro with slight machining and drilled to 4.5" pattern, calipers are large single piston GM which use MD52 pads and the spindle has no machine work.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Thank you very much for taking the time to measure them. This summer I plan on putting disc brakes in the '37 115c chassis on all 4 wheels, and I plan on doing it a little simpler than the way you went. BUT, I need to know the acceptable thickness of the plate before I get started.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 13:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Eric,
I had talked to Ron about rear disc and he stated it is not necessary since most braking, unless maunally adjusted to rear, is done primarily by the front. It definately will not hurt but does the cost justify means? Please keep us posted when you start.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The way I'm doing it the cost for all 4 wheels will be less than half of what you spent on your fronts.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Ron will NOT sell just the brackets, i already asked! i set up the kit (except the bracket ) this week-end at work. i used: 75 chevy p/u calipers and pads, and the same era dodge p/u rotors. the dodge bolt pattern is the same as a jr packard. both trucks used 15" wheels, so these parts should fit behind a jr packard wheel just fine.and as for price, well eric is correct, both rotors, pads, calipers and hoses was less than 200$

Posted on: 2009/4/2 19:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Has he mentioned (or has anyone asked) what would be involved in a kit for senior cars?

Posted on: 2009/4/2 19:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved