Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty" .... The Blog!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Maybe "sleeping beauty" is really dorthy from the wizard of oz, "there's no place like home....."

Just remember old cars are fun.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 16:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Even Rip Van Winkle had to stretch and yawn a bit when he woke up.

I'm not much good on carbs either so no comment from here. Is it the heater core or the Ranco valve leaking or better question, where is the water dripping from. Either is possible after a long sit but the valve is something you can do while the core needs a trip to the shop.

Good question. When I pulled back the flexible duct I could see that the bottom of the metal duct under the core was wet. So far no coolant in the passenger compartment.

I'll have to check more closely. For now, with the driveability problem, I've just loosened the radiator cap.

Fortunately over the last two years (my PackardInfo 2nd anniversary is next month - sigh) I've managed to pick up two spare cores and at least one Ranco valve which are hopefully in good shape.

Thank you Howard for your help in this. If you get any brainstorms about the carburetor, don't hesitate.

That goes for anyone else as well!

Posted on: 2012/8/15 16:54
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Maybe "sleeping beauty" is really dorthy from the wizard of oz, "there's no place like home....."

Just remember old cars are fun.

Right now she seems to be channeling "The Tin Man" - pre-lube.

Everything seems so close to coming together! I think that is the main thing bugging me. Not that I want her to revert to the coma she was in for 27 years.

You're right about the fun part of course. It's just that some days are more fun than others.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 17:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
When I pulled back the flexible duct I could see that the bottom of the metal duct under the core was wet.

If that part is wet, not much doubt and it may flow inside as well thru the inside vent opening and run under the carpet

Posted on: 2012/8/15 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:
When I pulled back the flexible duct I could see that the bottom of the metal duct under the core was wet.

If that part is wet, not much doubt and it may flow inside as well thru the inside vent opening and run under the carpet

That wouldn't be very nice!

Think I'll go down to the cellar and drag up the two cores and get them checked out.

Thank you again Howard and "Let the Ride Decide" as well for your support and humor. Just knowing that there is someone there does wonders for my attitude!

Posted on: 2012/8/15 17:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In the meantime to prevent further damage, just reroute the hoses to essentially just take the heater(s) out of the wet circuit. Then you've got time to evaluate without risking damage.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
In the meantime to prevent further damage, just reroute the hoses to essentially just take the heater(s) out of the wet circuit. Then you've got time to evaluate without risking damage.

Thanks O_D for an excellent suggestion. I definitely do Not want or need to mess up the things (the majority)that are working well.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 17:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Last night, as is sometimes my want, I decided to curl up in bed with a good book. Before you all go "Too much information"; the book was the '55 - '56 FSM. More specifically, the Fuel & Exhaust section covering the Rochester 4GC. Here is what I have narrowed my driveability problem down to. The Float System checks out; the Idle System runs very well; The Power System does extreemly well and the Choke System is just fine. That leaves the Part Throttle System and compared to what it is supposed to do and how it does it as described in the FSM, the Throttle System is simply asleep at the switch. As the daytime temperature has been hovering around 100 the last few days and won't really get back to normal until next week all work on the car proper as in the heater core will have to wait until then. However I am ordering a new ket from Daytona and when it gets here we'll see if giving the Part Trottle System will do the trick. What I suspect is that when the NAPA carb kit accelerator started coming apart a piece or pieces are gumming up the works.

Anyway, that is the plan. If anyone has suggestions of what to look for and how to do it, please jump in. Also if anyone has any other suggestions.

The fuel pump checks out as does the electrical so that seems to me to leave the carb as the area of discontent.

Another area is the "Spell Check" button on the site. It won't engage, at least for me.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 16:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Yesterday afternoon I decided to tear into the carburetor on the '55 even though I didn't[' have a new carb kit to put it back together with. I went in concentrating on the "Part Throttle System" and that was the culprit - but. I went in expecting to see bits of blue rubber from the accelerator pump that came apart when I used compress air to clear out the passages. There wasn't any. What I did find was little viscus bits of black "snot" - which suggests to me that the source was NOT the kit but some pieces of rubber hose that I hadn't got around to replacing.
Anyway, I buttoned everything back up but by then it was getting late and I was tired.

Today, I went out for a test drive and guess what? She absolutely and positively ran like a dream. Smooth acceleration, smooth up-shifts and NO lurching and bucking at a constant speed what so ever!

My amateur conclusions are that the kit from NAPA was suffering from old age. I mean really - how many calls do you think they get for a 4GC kit these days no matter how many makes used them back in the day.

Next, I just moved replacing all rubber fuel lines with "fuel injection" hose WAY UP in the "to do list".

Last but not least, put a filter back in the fuel bowl and maybe one before the pump for good measure.

Anyway, it is a relief to finally know what was going on or if not that, at least know what stops it.

I want to thank BigKev, Su8overdrive, Tim, PackardV8, Brian, Dave, JD, JP, and of course Howard and anyone else I have inadvertently forgot for patiently sharing the benefit of the knowledge and experience.

My next project will be the power seat motors, but not right away. I just want to drive for a while without worry - at least about the fuel system.

I AM going to get a GOOD carb kit from either Daytona or some other reliable source.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 18:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Most of the "reliable sources" get their kits from Daytona.
Nuff said.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 19:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved