Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 172

JW49, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 »

Re: Brake Upgrade
Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
the only real difference for a sr. kit would be the bolt pattern for the lugs. same size rotor and caliper and bracket should work for the sr since they use a 15" rim too.

At this rate i'm seriously thinking about making kits myself!

Posted on: 2009/4/2 19:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What did they do with the spindle. I noticed some kind of spacer on yours. Believe the senior assy may be larger-- although I haven't measured. They are a different assy and also different bearings.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
a disc brake rotor is not as deep as a brake drum. i believe the "spacer" seen on the spindal is more like a new seal surface, and also a bearing stop to keep the rotor from sliding to far back on the spindal. There are thousands of different bearings available on the market, so bearings should be the least of our worries in this process. the sr cars did use a bigger DRUM but the same size RIM. the bolt pattern is differnt from a jr car to a sr car. but BOTH use a 15" wheel. so any kit that fits behind a 15" jr rim should fit behind a 15" sr rim! the only difference in a kit would be the bolt patten on the rotor, and possibly the bearings.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
As you all can now see most of the expense in off the wall applications is the machine work. We don't have the luxury of mass produced kits which brings prices down. About the spacers, the rear one moves rotor outward to align with caliper and for grease seal to ride on, the outer sleeve is for surface for outer bearing. The only knowledge I have on senior hubs is that the bearings, seal and hub diameter are larger than a junior and the bolt pattern is 5X5. Not sure of any spindle differences.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i'm going to check my parts book tonight. i think that the spindal it's self is the same. just the outter diameter of the bearings is different.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Ron will NOT sell just the brackets, i already asked!
Bloody hell, I don't care if he'll sell them separately, I have a buddy with a plasma cutter....

Quote:
At this rate i'm seriously thinking about making kits myself!

Now you're getting on the right track! I also plan on using the original hubs too....

Posted on: 2009/4/2 23:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
the bolt pattern is differnt from a jr car to a sr car.

Only on the late '54s and the V8 cars. My '48 Packard Eight, both of the '53 Clippers I had, and my '37 115c all had the "Senior" bolt pattern, 5 on 5".

Posted on: 2009/4/3 0:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the two most critical parts are the caliper brackets and any spindle spacers/bearing sleeves needed to negate machining the spindle. If some enterprising person can put together a kit that includes those two main pieces, and then a hardware/parts shopping list, then I think we would have a winning combo.

I see 3 possible configurations (all based on spindle\bolt pattern differences)

55-56 Seniors
54-56 Clippers
51-53 All, and 54 Seniors

Not sure about differences in pervious years....

I would figure that the bracket may be the same for all 3 configurations. Really the difference would be the spindle spacers/bearing sleeves based on the spindle difference, and choosen rotors based on bolt pattern.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 0:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let us assume that the custom made bracket for the conversion is 1/2 inch steel. Certainly it is NO thicker than that?????

Ok. That means that 1/2 inch is is anchoring the caliper to keep the caliper from turning. NOW LOOK at a FACTORY Ford or Chev front disk brake set up. The Caliper Stays (anchors) are part of the steering knuckel AND AT LEAST THREE inches wide. NOT 1/2 inch wide!!!!!

Does this not raise any concerns for anyone ????????

Posted on: 2009/4/3 8:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No, because you're comparing 1/2" steel with cast iron. I'm thinking that 3/8" would be plenty.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 13:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved