Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

Oldcaddies , Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 14 »

Re: 350+ scans of original upholstery-carpet-top cards
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Back from the docs; no immediate cutting and splicing.

I attempted to upload the 75 finished files, but keep getting a "critical file error" on screen, although some seem to have made it.

God knows what a critical file error is; it clearly never occurred to the programmers to add foolish details like that to their program.

I can open the erroneous files here with no problems, so am at a loss....

I suppose that if I send them by posting them it makes a lot of work for you?

Otherwise I think I will burn a CD and mail it.....

Posted on: 2011/2/10 17:39
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Pat,

The easiest way may be just to add them directly to the photo archive. You have to do one at a time, but it should only take a couple of seconds per photo (based on your internet connection). May be the shortest route all said and done.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 20:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
It's been along time since I FTPed many files, but I only ever had trouble when the FTP session got hung up on a particular file.

Anyway, I had noted of the name of the file that the process was working on, and then manually disconnected. When I re-connected, the process wouldn't let me upload that same file. IIRC, it was because the host now had a file of same name, though incomplete, and the user permissions did not allow for overwriting or deleting existing files, which appears to be a common practice.

I cannot, however, recall the error message involved. I just contacted BigKev, privately, and waited for his reply. He deleted the offending file, and life went on.

Experience has shown that kind of trouble was neither a one time occurence nor was it limited to P'Info or my connection of choice. Sometimes schitt just happens.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 10:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'll mail a cd. Kevin, please shoot me an address.

One member emailed me to point out an error in the file name of two images, which I have corrected. he also noted that his research showed that other sets and models used that same material.

I have a feeling that as others research their particular car, we will get more corrections and additions. Since the file names are already unwieldy at best, perhaps such info could/should be confirmed and made part of the database.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 1:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
After further inspection of the original PDF, it appears that there are several gaps in coverage compared to what the parts books offer in the way of bulk trim materials. That is, this may not be a complete set for any year. Then, from the above report, it seems that there are other applicable models for some materials not shown on these cards.

As such, I withdraw from my earlier position that these cards may have been used for Detroit production and warehousing of materials.

Instead, since remaining materials were relocated to South Bend following the shutdown of Packard operations, I now suspect that these card were needed by Studebaker workers to identify bulk materials, as the South Bend operations took over responsibilities for warranty and service of Packard vehicles.

Regardless, this addition to PackardInfo's searchable Photo Archive, with the color correction and deciphering work that has been accomplished, should prove to be a useful reference for owner's of the subject cars.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Are there any Tan Broadcloth swatches from 49-50? If so please post a picture here so I know what I need to get for recovering. I would also like to interest anybody in the 1950 Custom Eight Henney Ambulance for sale. It will be crushed if it is not bought. The forum is titled, "1938 Ambulance for sale", there was a typo. Please check it out!

Posted on: 2011/2/16 16:50
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
My cursory sweep of the swatches showed nothing labelled earlier than 24th Series (1951).

Posted on: 2011/2/16 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Shoot! Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/2/17 7:44
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Several people emailed me to point out that some of the samples applied to earlier models, The information on the cards in the pictures does not list this; hopefully the range of useful knowledge will be expanded when the swatches are thoroughly cataloged and databased.......

Posted on: 2011/2/18 12:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've already talked to BigKev a little bit about this this, privately, and offered to audit the recorded information against the parts books, if (once all the cards have been received and uploaded) he can provide me with a text file of the revised, long filenames. It would be painfully slow, with too many hours behind the screen for me to attempt to do so "live" with only a dial-up connection.

Meanwhile, a sample of a few cards of personal interest (from the large PDF set) showed that the tag info was typically correct, but a few don't turn up in any parts book. On the other hand, parts book have been known to have errors and omissions.

Please advise which cards, by part number, you believe have earlier applications, and I'll look into those further.

However, I'm not quite sure where you are hoping to take this with as a database. The long filenames are already searchable within PackardInfo, even with keyword(s) as a partial match. Also, keep in mind that this collection of materials, as magnificent as it is, is not 100% complete in its coverage. That is, you might not get complete info for any one model.

Still, one can use the available info to identify proper texture of some materials, even if not the right color. Like I said, my dad's Exec had several different types of vinyl used in that one car, which was trimmed in black/white cloth and vinyl.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 12:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved