Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Re: Here is what happened today. What would you do next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Stop imagining things. Let's get back to things Packard.

OK, how about this "things Packard"?

A few years back I was driving my 55 Pat on HWY 159 (a bypass around Las Vegas) from HWY 160 (LV to Pahrump) to Charleston Blvd (in LV) through Red Rock Canyon, an unexpectedly beautiful alternative drive, if you are going either direction.

I was stopped by a BLM (Bureau of Land Management, a US GOV administrative organization with no legal authority to do anything that I am aware of.) SUV with lightbar flashing. This BLM vehicle was stopping any vehicle traversing this NV road through supposedly BLM land for reasons TBD. I don't know the legalities of such. But, if you see flashing lights behind you, you pull over.

It turned out that I was exceeding the posted speed limit, which was a ridiculous 45mph, IMO and had just been recently reposted as such (was 55 or 65). Fortunately for me, the BLM "cop" liked my 55 Pat (we chatted about same) and he let me go with a verbal warning. But maybe another "offender" would have been cited for exceeding the speed limit. Who knows?

My point is that not all offenders are treated equally as posted by ex-officer Mike O'Handley above. The real question is "why was the posted speed limit reduced to some ridiculous low mph" other than to increase ticket revenue for the BLM?

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/17 6:06
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Yes, and all "offenders" in this forum are not treated equally either

Posted on: 2011/9/17 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Yes, and all "offenders" in this forum are not treated equally either

It's about attitude Fred.....

Posted on: 2011/9/19 0:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I spent 20 years, 9 months, 5 days and 4 hours as a cop until I retired in 1996. Worked traffic exclusivel for about a year and nobody ever told me I had to fill a quota...

Mike (Mike O'Handley), try to trust that not every single post reflects or even represents a consensus. Traffic policemen, traffic laws and accompanying measures are basic essentials of modern life. Traffic participants have to comply with the rules of the game instead of interpreting them.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 1:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
'Yes, and all "offenders" in this forum are not treated equally either.'

It's about attitude Fred [Kanter]...

Amen.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/19 1:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"The real question is "why was the posted sped limit reduced to some ridiculous low mph" other than to increase ticket revenue for the BLM?"

To discourage traffic!!!
From Nashville to Natchez Missippii there is some 200 miles of Natchez Trace parkway. Speed limit 45 mph. Supposedly Patroled by US Marshal.

It's the most useless stretch of the most beautiful 2 lane narrow blacktop with NO shoulder that i've seen in my life. Rarely a car on it. About the only time i use it is for outoftown guests that hear about it and have to go see it.

The low speed limit is strictly to discourage travelers from using somekind of a boondoggle bridge-to-nowhere type of thing.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 8:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Craig,

I understand your point but in my opinion you have it backwards. I offer advice , sometimes strongly, that is based on 51 years experience and has been called too authoratative. I am at a loss on how to offer such experience to those who seem a bit lost (understandably) and do it effectively without being authoratative. I am a bit of an authority on some subjects. If I offer it in just a "mee too" basis, and I have, the topic goes on and on without resolution. When I'm a bit stronger yoiu'll note that my entry is often the last bexcause everyone has benefitted form my post.
Yes, I'm wrong more than just once in a long while , I correct myself and apologize because that's how a gentleman behaves. I do everything to try to benefit other Packard people.

In this topic, which was sailing along, PackardV8 veered sharply off course into the Troy Michigan political issue which had nothign to do with Packard. If yoiu will note, at the bottom of his post is the phrase "Annoying the world one perrson at a time?" Finally I see in print exactly what I thought was going on.

My question to you, if as I understand you, his approach is preferable to mine, should we all, including you emulate his ways and try our best to put a stick in a hornets nest whenever we can? You know there are probably 30,000 other towns in the US we can make up false stories on a put on these forums.

Your reply would be appreciated in order the improve this site.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As for this comment:
"Yes, and all "offenders" in this forum are not treated equally either"

This is an INTERNET discussion group. NOT a sunday school class. Any one that doesn't like it doesn't have to participate. Go find a discussion groups that fits your own opinion of fairness.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 8:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Fred Kanter Quote:
My question to you, if as I understand you, his approach is preferable to mine, should we all, including you emulate his ways and try our best to put a stick in a hornets nest whenever we can?

I agree with Keith (PackardV8) that this is an internet discussion board, not a Sunday school class. Actually, this message board is pretty well mannered compared to some.

You are one of several very knowledgeable "authorities" who frequent this board. I would include myself in that group. However, there is sometimes no one set answer to a stated problem. Take the BTV failures, for example. One significant factor in how one is perceived is presentation. I've managed to not get kicked off of any board in the many years that Packard (and Pontiac, my other car passion) enthusiasts have digitally gathered. Maybe presentation is my saving grace.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/19 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
fellow Packard enthusiasts,there's room for all of us here and that's what makes this site special. Anyone who chooses to participate and ask a question is welcomed with an answer, without being judged. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!

Posted on: 2011/9/19 10:32
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved