Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Rear cam journal diameter?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps I should be ashamed to admit it, but I don't install and burnish my own piston pin bushings so I have no experience burnishing them; I typically take the rods to a machine shop for straightening and aligning, and have them install the bushings and pins.

Re the "undersize/oversize" comment, of course it's a foible of our lingo. When the crank journal is turned undersize, then the corresponding new bearing must be oversized (thicker) to fit an undersize journal, yet we typically call the bearing undersize meaning that it's not undersize itself but for an undersize application. Unfortunately for some of us (no names), overweight and underweight within the context of body mass doesn't present the same mixed message.

Posted on: 2008/7/15 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Owen, you need to be careful talking with your tongue planted so firmly in your cheek. You're sure to bite yourself someday.
Undersized in Irwin

Posted on: 2008/7/15 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
LOOK AT the 55-56 parts catalouge. section 5.0401 and 5.0402 crank bearings. I did not bother to look at rod bearings. THE PACKARD part catalouge refers to UNDERsize ONLY.

Oddly enuf, i went out to AAP and AZO websites to look at 350 chevy mains and sure enuf they NOW list them as OVERsize. I was shocked. Some 4 years ago i bought a set of mains and rod bearings and at that time they were listed as UNDERsized not Oversized. I remeber it well because i had to explain it to one of those ASMCE certified parts jockeys. And he still ordered the wrong parts (std) and when i went back there were two i had to explain it to.

So what we have here is a dumbing down problem.

OH!!! But wait a minute now. THe PMCC Master Engine Builders called them UNDERsize. Isn't that like a word from God. Making all others sinners???? So why does Kanter confuse the issue with OVERsize????

Posted on: 2008/7/15 10:02
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packpower
See User information
PackardV8, I dont recall the exact size of the tag sale bearing, but it was way off, too much so to be a matter of clearance, etc. It was probably an AMC or Studebaker bearing.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 13:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Parts Wizard
See User information
Egge's Packard V8 cam bearings are American made Dura Bond cam bearings. The part number is PA-6.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 12:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Parts Wizard,

Thanks for the info on cam bearings. I'll look closely at the ones I have. Are they marked DuraBond anywhere? IIRC, the last sets I got were shrink mounted on white cardboard without any brand name visible. When I can sell Made-In-USA parts these days, I want the origin and brand name out for everyone to see.

From whom are Egge's V8 rod bearings coming these days? If they are made-in USA, I'll be ordering them tomorrow. The reason I ask, the last rod bearings I received from another well-known Packard supplier (with whom I intend to speak with and voice my displeasure) were the white-box-made-in-Taiwan bearings which I know so well. However, this supplier had sloppily cut off the box the printed line identifying their origin - probably an illegal act, certainly immoral. If he is ashamed of the origin of his parts, he shouldn't sell them.

Again, thanks for the good info.

jack vines

Posted on: 2008/7/18 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jack!!!
The supplier cuts off the source tag so NO ONE will be able to go to the source directly.

They have to buy from the dealer !!! Look at his MAIN cataloug. There are NO part numbers in the main cataloug that covers many different mfg'ers. Order by MM&Y is his policy. OTHERWISE, we could use his main catalouge as an X-ref.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 16:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Parts Wizard
See User information
The Dura Bond, made in USA bearings would have PA6-1, PA6-2, PA6-3, PA6-4 & PA6-5. Unfortunately the only rod bearings available for the V8's are the made in Taiwan bearings.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
There isn't much information on the white box rod bearings, anyway - no brand name. This vendor just cut off the line, "Made in Taiwan" so it made it that much more obvious what he was doing. Even though he is a couple of dollars less expensive than some of the competition, I can't do business with someone who tries to hide selling offshore product, even if that's the only source. If he'll cheat on that, what else do I have to wonder about?

FWIW, the V8 main bearings everyone is selling are really good stuff from King Bearing of Israel. They are in the King box with the p/n right on it, but that is no help, because King will not sell them direct and they are not listed in the King catalog or on line. The vendor has an exclusive with King on these bearings. Wonder why he didn't include rod bearings in his special order from King? Most everyone takes a set of each.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/7/18 18:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Parts Wizard
See User information
Egge is the supplier of the King main bearing sets. We had these made years ago, when we had plenty of rod bearings and did not get the rod bearings made.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 16:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved