Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
257 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 255

TxGoat, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1950 windshield wiper cable
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Guess I need to find a passenger side assembly. Anyone know where I can find one cheap ? Wondering if I should use a couple of cable clamps "U" bolt with two nuts and plate.
They seem a little heavy for the cable. Any inputs ?

OTG

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have no luck finding a new assy, I don't think a small clamp would have too much weight but I would wonder if there is enough cable length available to overlap enough for the clamp to grab.

One other option possibly would be to crimp a metal sleeve on the two ends as a splice. There are some designed for the purpose but again, maybe not enough cable to spare for the overlap. I have had success using an ordinary electrical butt connector on some projects. There are different sizes and probably the blue or yellow for that wire.

Removing the plastic insulation so as to have only metal gives a sleeve which can be crimped very tightly. You do need to have a decent or strong crimp and use more than one crimp on each end. I have not tried anything like a wiper cable but maybe worth a shot till something better comes along. Possibly even using some JB Weld to add extra surface inside the crimp would give a stronger repair.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.84 KB)
209_4f85af0b19d5b.jpg 530X502 px

Posted on: 2012/4/11 11:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
The wiper assembly is part number 81946-R
The number I have been looking for is 415510.

According to my searches 81946 should fit both '49s and
'50s

OTG

Posted on: 2012/4/11 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

otgdy wrote:
The wiper assembly is part number 81946-R
The number I have been looking for is 415510.

According to my searches 81946 should fit both '49s and
'50s

OTG

81946 is a Trico part number and is listed in a Trico catalog as 81946 for 1948 and early 1949, 81946-1 for late 1949 and 1950. the difference is likely the length of the cables.
I don't have a 23rd Series example, but the right cable for the 22nd Series is 35-1/2" long as measured from the ends of the cables with both held together to the start of the housing. The left one is 20-1/4" long. They are marked 81946 R and 81947 L respectively.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 13:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Guess I will have to try to adjust the cables on the new unit I have. Good news is I will have plenty of cable that I can splice with.

How do I determine the lengths of the cables on this?
After I mount the hardware and route the cable do I set
the wiper arm mount at the end of travel (wiper arm in down position) and use this length ? or does the arm mount need to be at center of travel ?

Hopefully someone has the measurements for this and make things simpler.

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2012/4/13 6:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could go about adjusting the length of these cables ? I am afraid the wiper will hit end of travel and cause more damage.

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2012/4/22 13:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No success discussing it with Ficken Wiper Service? They're the Trico experts.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 14:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assume you have given up on finding the proper one & still plan on shortening the new? If you have the old assy and broken length of wire then---

I would suggest laying old & new side by side so the cables exit and look the the same. Pull one of the old cables so the shaft is all the way to that side and measure the length. Pull the other cable so the shaft is to the opposite extreme and measure that length. It should be possible to get a pretty close estimate of the needed length of the bad side by laying the broken piece out as well. Make the new assy match.

The tensioner will take up a little of any error. There should be a few degrees of play built into the pivot assy so unless something is really wrong, it shouldn't go all the way to the extreme end.

If you no longer have the old then it would be a lot of experimenting or someone will have to measure one.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 15:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
That would work if somebody didn't lose the end of the one cable. I was thinking about doing just that with the one side, install it and adjust the other side to "fit".

I completely forgot about Ficken good idea. I didn't purchase it from them but whats the harm asking...

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2012/4/23 5:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Ok I give up. This is the third unit and the cables are still too long. I measured one cable side and it was about 30 1/2 inches. Not sure how long the other side was supposed to be.
The one I just received is this length on one side but the cables are both too long by a few inches.

The pivot mounts over the glove box.
There is a tensioner on the firewall directly across from it.
Then there is a pivot point in the middle of the car that 4 cables attach to (both sides). Is there another pulley up there somewhere ?

Can someone please enlighten me on this ?

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2012/6/7 9:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved