Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 218

RCJ56, tsherry, Don B, didatelogg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

high range clutch steels
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I replaced the clutch friction discs in my 1953 ultramatic , but I did not replace the steels. I had no problem re-assembling the discs and steel in the piston. I did not require clamps to re-install the piston ring at the top of the piston. Does this mean that my steels are worn-out. I noticed that the only steel with a real wave in it was the one closest to the planetary assembly. I have the trans apart, but I don't want to proceed until I get the
expert opinion from the forum. I am taking pictures. If sucessful, I'll run a blog on how to remove the engine and trans safely and frugally. (and hopefully how to rebuild the trans).
Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2012/6/22 22:34
 Top  Print   

Re: high range clutch steels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There is no need to replace the steels unless they are scored or not flat. Your warped one has to go and I'd check the other ones carefully.

The top of the high clutch should drop into place onto the housing and you should be able to install the retainer ring with your finger. The outer housing must turn with a just a bit of drag relative to the shaft. Please wet the discs with ATF so they don't scorch on initial startup. If one needed to compress the top that would mean the clutch was already engaged.

Posted on: 2012/6/23 5:49
 Top  Print   

Re: high range clutch steels
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Thank you Ross for all your help. You've saved me a lot of time and consternation since I want to get this trans correct before I pull the existing with the engine.
Thanks again,
Casey Rog

Posted on: 2012/6/23 8:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved