Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 181

Alvin14, Dbedsole, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Freon again.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I do HVAC work on a regular basis. I did HVAC in the Sahara Desert as well.

Don't use unapproved refrigerent like Freeze X, Arctic Chill, Chilly Willie, whatever. The correct charge is shown on the vehicle label, or from references available via NAPA Online.

If you put other than what is on the vehicle tag into your HVAC then if you ever require professional service you will have to pay a huge decontamination cost because the shop equipment will be ruined.

For old R-12 Packard systems R134 is not good because it requires higher pressures. It might work for awhile, but soon the compressor will quit and the plumbing will spring higher pressure leaks.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"My question is what about a front end collision resulting in your A/C system exploding into flames."

Such a concern is disproportionate to reality. What about a rear end collison involving 20 gallons of gasoline in the gas tank???? Does that somehow give everyone a warm fuzzy feeling about the sky could never fall??? From the beginning of the automobile up thru the mid 1970's there were pick-ups with gas tanks INSIDE the cab directly behind the seat, In cowls between engine and passengers. MB and GPW with gas tanks directly under the drivers seat. Propane tanks for residential use the size a japanese mini-sub. What about propane gas grills on the deck???? That seem real safe and sound??? These kind of examples can go on and on and on.

Lets be reasonable.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 21:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"For old R-12 Packard systems R134 is not good because it requires higher pressures. It might work for awhile, but soon the compressor will quit and the plumbing will spring higher pressure leaks"

Have u actually tried it or know of more than one such incident???? Or is the claim based on something told to u by a jobber, corporation, dealer or some other biased party????

EDIT: SEE last paragraph of post #6 above by HH56. The claim in post #6 indicates that Freeze12 is mostly R134A. Also note that for several years many autoparts stores offered an R12 to R134A "conversion kit". I've used them.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 21:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
EDIT: SEE last paragraph of post #6 above by HH56. The claim in post #6 indicates that Freeze12 is mostly R134A. Also note that for several years many autoparts stores offered an R12 to R134A "conversion kit". I've used them.

I got that information about freeze 12 from this site which says it is a mixture of 134a and 142b. Whether he is 100% correct is unknown but I suspect there is more truth than fiction.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"I believe that was one of the hazards or substances mentioned as subject to a fine if found in contaminating a shops recovery system -- to say nothing of the danger to a poor unsuspecting mechanic or owner not knowing he's dealing with the stuff."

Ok. Then the 'professionals' in all of their infinite wisdom and glory should be able to take a small sample of any AC system to test for "contamination" BEFORE using the recovery system.

A better question mite be:
What are the details of the processing for recovery systems once they are FULL to the extant that any 'contamination" mite compromise the processing in someway????

Just exactly what is it that is done with the shop recovery systems' recovered refrigerent anyway that a mixture of r12 or r134a or Freeze12 etc etc mite pose a problem for the final recycling process????

I realize that the law is the law. But the idea that waste refrigerent is 'contaminated' really does not make any sense other than if it mite be used in another AC unit. Which raises the question: What margin, purpose or possible benefit could ever be achieved by simply swapping refrigerant from car to car to car??? The only possible benefit is profit to the shop for a gimmick charge to the customers bill.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanks HH56 for the link to the eBay article about refrigerants. Everyone should read it. I found it very enlightening.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Most shops i have been to, have two recovery tanks, one for r-12, and one 134a,

r-12 is a hot ticket, and shops want it, when i had toyota checked out, the shop took my r-12 for payment....the compressor was seized..

rik

the car left the shop with a seized compressor,,at the time no money to replace it.. up date, for p8 question,

Posted on: 2012/7/20 0:44
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. The R12 was removed. So One, exactly one and only one of two, exactly two and only two conditions can exist:

1.The car left the shop with air conditioning that did not work because it had no refrigeratn in it?????

2. The car left the shop with air conditioner that DOES work because they put R134A in the system??????

Posted on: 2012/7/20 7:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
"Freon at last, freon at last, thank God Almighty we have freon at last!"

...and...

"Freon is never voluntarily given by the compressor; it must be demanded by the compressed."

Posted on: 2012/7/20 11:46
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved