Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: rear end gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Thanks again for all the response. What I'm thinking is because there was not anything between the break backing plate and the axel housing except the bearing shim I will put it back together without a gasket on either side of the shim. Seems to me that with a new inner axel shaft seal very little if any gear lube will make it to the bearing much less leak out the other side. Even if it did leak it would leak down the back side of the backing plate and not on the breaks. On the surface that seems like a strange rationalization but I'm just not sure what to do. Considering what the shim is there for it may be a mistake to put a gasket on either side of it. On the break side of the backing plate the position of the gaskets is clear. Any last help before I commit to leaving the inner gaskets out?

Posted on: 2008/8/5 11:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I don't think that the gasket is important and leaving it out would not be any harm for the reasons you state. If the mating surfaces are clean and fit tight a gasket is probably not necessary.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I do mostly pre war. But, I would think after a rebuild, on any of these, check axle runout. Make sure shims are not all on one side or the other.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 16:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved