Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 224

RCJ56, tsherry, Don B, didatelogg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

need to remove solenoid when installing OD trans?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi guys, in a few weeks I hope to have my engine finished, and in it will go with the (new to me) OD trans.
I remember reading in the shop manual that the OD solenoid should be removed before removing/installing the trans.
Do I really need to do this? I'd rather leave in on and not mess with taking it out.
I plan on puting the engine and trans together outside the vehicle and dropping the whole thing in as a unit.
It's a 53 clipper with 327.
Thanks for the advice.
Tobs

Posted on: 2012/7/30 13:59
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Re: need to remove solenoid when installing OD trans?
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Trying to remember when I overhauled my 51 288 w/od - as I recall, we had to remove the solenoid in order to get the transmission thru the frame. It wasn't hard to do, just take some good closeup photos from several angles so you can put it back in correctly.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No problem at all to leave it on. In fact, you can even bolt the rear crossmember onto the rear mount and send it all in at one time. The crossmember will neatly catch in the x-member of the frame and hold the back of the tranny up while you are busy at the front. Then all you have to do is jack up the back of the tranny a few cm and stick the bolts in.

Might as well make the rear portion of your overdrive harness ahead of time and have it hooked up too.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks for the tips. That will be a little bit easier to bolt the cross brace onto the tranny mount before dropping the whole thing in as a unit. Motor is delayed another week now since the shop building my engine has vacation for their local 'volksfest'
Taking the time to sandblast and POR15 a few parts in the meanwhile...Also trying to locate (here in Munich) some rubber to replace the mounts on the radiator frame....All the autoparts stores here can really only deal with a vehilce number and their computer system. Thinking outside the box is not so common here :-/ Will try by an industrial rubber supply next.

Here is a question, the nuts/bolts that hold the radiator frame to the frame, they are like castle nuts but there is no cotter pin. I mean: the top of the nut has thin cuts in it similar to a castle nut. What is the purpose of this? Were they some sort of lock nut, like what today has a nylon insert?

Cheers, Tobs

Posted on: 2012/8/12 15:18
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Tobs wrote:
Here is a question, the nuts/bolts that hold the radiator frame to the frame, they are like castle nuts but there is no cotter pin. I mean: the top of the nut has thin cuts in it similar to a castle nut. What is the purpose of this? Were they some sort of lock nut, like what today has a nylon insert?

Cheers, Tobs

Yes those are lock nuts and known as Marsden type

Posted on: 2012/8/12 19:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved