Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Balancing 356 fan and water pump pulley
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I'm changing the water pump pulley on my '47 Super's 356 merely as the existing one has a small, thumbnail-sized chip on the rear outer flange. It doesn't harm the belt, but since i've a virgin spare, i'll use that strictly for the cosmetics, not that anyone else'll notice.

My existing pulley has the usual pair of balance holes drilled in the same area as the four bolt holes. My unchipped spare has no balance holes, and a friend who's been involved with these cars since the '50s can't recall ever seeing a 356 pulley without balance holes. Perhaps this one made it through inspection without requiring further attention?

Just to play safe, since these 356 water pump pulleys are cast iron, heavy, i'm going to have a machine shop doublecheck it for balance. Since the fan's off, thought i'd have him check that, too, even tho' the fan looks fine, seemed to spin smoothly.

Anyone ever have a 356 fan balanced? Did the shop balance it with the pulley, or separately?

Posted on: 2012/8/13 18:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Balancing 356 fan and water pump pulley
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The fan and pulley should be balanced as a unit due to the non-symmetrical fan blades.
Most of the originals that I have seen were match marked for assembly.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 23:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Balancing 356 fan and water pump pulley
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The match mark comment is a very good note.

I remember a Darrin years that had repetitive water pump problems and I'll bet it was running a non-matching water pump pulley and fan.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 7:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved