Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 214

Don B, Chuck McDonald, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fuel grade question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks for the input, guys. The concern I have is that today's gasoline bears but a passing resemblance to the "Premium" of 1954: Aside from the addition of lead, "Super" was 100+ octane (those were the days)..and of course, today we have 10%ethanol, and a max of 93 pump octane, which is what I've been using, largely without problem. And it sounds like most are using premium, as well.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 17:00
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
In Montana at least, Exxon premium has no alchol, which is a good reason to use it.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You should also know that octane varied over the years. In the thirties high test was about 75 octane, regular about 65. They also sold "straight run" gas with no additives which was 50 or 55 octane.

It was about 1954 and 55 when the heavily leaded, high octane gas became available. That is when compression ratios started soaring. As late as 1951 I don't believe you could buy gas at a gas station that was over 80 octane.

In the sixties regular was 88, hi test 98 and you could get some brands over 100 octane like Blue Sunoco 103 octane.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 20:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was octane calculated and reported the same way thru the years or did some of the methodology change.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 20:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
this might help then again it confused the heck outta me..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Posted on: 2012/8/17 20:41
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks. It is confusing but if I read correctly, we currently use AKI method but wonder if it was always so. Most everyone else in the world appears to use RON.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 20:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Until the mid seventies research octane and motor octane numbers were both legal in the US and both were used, usually the research number appeared on the gas pumps and in gas advertising because it was higher.

Starting in the mid seventies the government mandated a new octane rating, the average of the RON and MON called the anti knock index or pump octane. So today's gas is actually 4 or 5 points better than the numbers indicate, according to the system used in the sixties and earlier.

For a while Mobil tried to promote their own system called "Megatane"but it was mainly an advertising gimmick.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 21:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved