Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Scan from a new box of documents
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I just got this box of documents today from an estate. Included are some of, what appear to be, the original documentation of the development and testing of the torsion bar by Allison. There are also some of the original agreements between Allison and Packard. I've included one page for your enjoyment.

Gene

Attach file:

pdf Size: 265.80 KB; Hits: 59

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:35
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Re: Scan from a new box of documents
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Gene,

That is interesting! It indicates that he had a clipper test, as well as a patrician test. Maybe helps explain the 25,000 mile car!

What estate did it come from, and I cant wait to see more.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 22:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
This is a very interesting sheet - would definitely be interesting to see more. This particular sheet is quite late in the development cycle - Sept. '54 would have been just prior to launch, and in the last group of test cars. As suggested, this fits into the date range for the 25,000 mile car, and others as well. It appears to be a test of the compensator motor and it's ability to lift the tail of the vehicles at a given rate. I would guess that they were fine-tuning the system prior to launch. Just as possible, they could have been testing future hardware, keeping in mind that they were only twelve months (give or take) from launching the 56th Series.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 7:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
total -158

guys weight in car maybe?

small dude, unless he was 5' tall.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/8/21 8:36
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Cycle-Car
See User information
Hi Gene,

The data sheet is fascinating. I'd love to see the other materials that you've got and learn their history.

Although I don't wish to share Dad's personal diaries or have excerpts reprinted, I'm willing, on occasion, to look stuff up if it would be helpful.

The '52 Packard 200, the first Packard with the interconnected suspension, was called the A-1, and the second car, a '53 Patrician, was called the A-2.

Information from your page "Torsion 27.pdf" identifies two cars being tested on 9/24/54. The Custom Clipper, #5561-1, was known as the A-3 vehicle, and the Patrician, #5582-1, was A-4.

On 9/21/54, Dad recorded: "...new parts for A-3 + A-4 - drove A-4 (Patrician) set up steering gear on A-3." On 9/23/54: "Drove A-1 to P.G. [Proving Grounds] A-2 OK on tire tests. Tested A-3 and A-4 for compensator load capacity. 270 lbs + 6 pass each." On 9/24/54: "Packard 8:00 - 11:00P.M." ... "Worked out angle of 7 [deg.] for comp levers to equalize loads." ... "Drove A-3 and A-4 north of Rochester for handling. A-4 excellent. Ft [front] end loose on A-3. Loose tie rod ends found."

Later notations identified the A-4 as follows: 11/15/54: "...A-4 (endurance car)." On 11/17/54: "- changed springs + arms on 5582-3 (25,000 mi test car)." Note that the VINs are different.

Regards--

Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Mark,

Fascinating or at least to me. I wonder if the Patrician that had the pheasant in the front windshield could have been the endurance car?

See this thread,https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8846&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Gene! Fascinating find! Seeing a trove such as this really helps to bring the back story of the '55-'56 cars to life. As the owner of a '55 Patrician, I'm getting a new appreciation of what went into developing what to me is the best riding car I've ever owned - including my '60 Imperial with front torsion bars. Handling or comfort has always been the battle. My '95 Town Car is a superb handling car for it's size but tends to ride rather hard. The '66 Fleetwood I had rode like a feather bed but needed to be driven like the proverbial little old lady. Only the '55 has comfort plus great road skills.

I can't wait to see more of these

And Mark, Thank YOU so much for being willing to share the man behind the story.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:44
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for sharing your dad's information and for joining the website!

Hank

Posted on: 2012/8/21 14:11
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What ever happend to the "Test Cars"? Where they destroyed?

Posted on: 2012/8/21 14:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
That's a great point! We've discussed that pheasant before, but since there were two cars travelling for an extended period, and two that probably looked very similar (but identical??) to each other, we could be looking at the one and thinking we're looking at the other. That would explain the sudden "repair" of the glass - it had never been damaged at all! What if Packard had filmed both cars, and then spliced footage interchangably, for whatever reason.

I am quite eager to know what else is in Gene's box of goodies.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 14:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved