Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 233

Rscott77x, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 Exec. T/L ride.
Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Reading someone else's shock question, I thought I'd ask what might be wrong with spring loaded rear shocks. I have them on mine. Does thie mess with the ride? Also my left front is lower than the rest, can the torsion bar be weak?

Posted on: 2012/11/9 19:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Exec. T/L ride.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Because the front and rear suspensions are interconnected some of the effects are a little counter intuitive.

During most light load conditions, the auxilliary bars are actually pulling the back of the car downward to keep it level. So, unless very heavy loads are often carried helper springs on the rear shocks are not a plus. The leveler has to wind the aux bars down even tighter to achieve a level condition.

I would take those helpers off and then see how she sits. If still down on the left then you can install a longer pin in the left front suspension. There is endless discussion of this elsewhere in the archives.

If you already have #4 pins and the car still sits too low, the best expedient is to install helper shocks on the front. They will push the front of the car up slightly, and the aux bars will push the back of the car up to level. That way the effect of a fairly weak helper in the front is magnified.

If you put something heavy in the trunk and listen carefully as the car levels you can tell when the leveler stops pulling the the back of the car down and starts pushing it up. TL cars ride their very best when the load is such that the aux bars are doing almost nothing. They don't ride too well at all when the car is heavily loaded at the front and the aux bars are pulling the back downwards.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BobP. Do u have a part number for those spring loaded rear shocks?????

Note that there are ADJUSTABLE front load links avaialbe from the ThePackardLibrary.com

Scroll about 10 frames down:

http://www.thepackardlibrary.com/New%20Items.htm

Let us know if u try a set. Noone at this website has ever tried any. Noone seems to know of anyone that has tried them. I've been thinking about it but just not top priority now.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 15:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
They don't ride too well at all when the car is heavily loaded at the front and the aux bars are pulling the back downwards.

Would not this condition be rare? Most loads are added towards the rear of the car as in extra folks in back seat or your anvil collection in the trunk.....

Posted on: 2012/11/10 16:26
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The scenario I had in mind was a heavily optioned car (air), little gas in the tank, and, uh, large people in the front seat.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
This car was purchased with those shocks already there. I think I know who installed them, I could ask for a part number. They were put on over 30 yrs. ago. Thanks for the info on the links, I'll get them over the winter time for next year. Also, I wired my T/L to a manual switch, I didn't want to mess with the factory stuff as I don't know if all the other stuff works. Thanks all for the replies.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"I wired my T/L to a manual switch, .."

Very wise decision. Very wise.

Also consider always using "H" for transmission instead "D". I only use "D" when i know i will need very rapid acceleration. Normal driving i always use "H".

Posted on: 2012/11/10 20:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Also, I wired my T/L to a manual switch, I didn't want to mess with the factory stuff as I don't know if all the other stuff works.

Not to be an alarmist but I do hope you made sure to go thru the limit switches with your manual control -- and have things correctly fused. If not, as a reminder to things that can happen with bypassed limits here is a picture showing a new piece compared to one having a twisted off spline & a bent link bar.

As a general caution for anyone adding a manual switch. The correct factory switch and connection is shown on the 56 part of schematic on the document labeled "1955-1956 Torsion Level Wire Diagram". It is found in the wiring section available in literature. A non factory switch needs a bit more work to disconnect the level switch automatically but can be done correctly.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.74 KB)
209_509f07ca3a550.jpg 640X288 px

Posted on: 2012/11/10 21:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Hi, My switch is probably wired the incorrect way, but I don't use it often, and when I do it's very little just to correct the height every now and then. If I remember, when I got the car it was maxxed out with the rear up. It was like that stored for years. Maybe there is something bent under there. But thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 19:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Back on 11/9/12, PackardV8 suggested I could get adjustable T/L front end links from the Packard Library. I tried to this week & they don't have any, although the ad is still there.I guess we won't know how they work. Thanks anyways. By the way, I got rear shocks coming from Amazon, $25 ea.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 19:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved