Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Installing 23rd Series outside mirrors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Thanks Owen for the copy of the original instructions. That shows where the mirror is mounted but it opens up a number of other questions. Apparently the instructions are for an installation kit that includes a drill jig. It refers to positions #1 and #2, which may be on the jig. It also talks about jiggling the part until the washer is in place and I have no idea what that means. I will measure the lock washer that came with the mounting stud and see how it compares with the hole size in the instructions.

In spite of all my questions this is a good start. Any additional informwation would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 11:06
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds like they are trying to make a slight keyhole shaped slot with the two positions. It says to move the template but the instructions are confusing. Not sure if they mean move 1/4" inch or one quarter of the diameter of the first hole and then drill a different smaller size. Without the template, that would have to be determined by the size of the washer to jiggle thru.

Sounds as if the mount is like the later mirrors which had a special allen head screw. The back of screw had a smaller diameter area machined in for a captured washer held by a peened over end. That washer was stuck into the drilled hole and then washer was pulled tight against the metal by effectively "unscrewing" the allen head. The reverse direction of normal tightening would draw the screw into the base and in the process shorten the washer side and pull the mirror tightly into the trim and door.

There was a discussion some time back about people making a reasonable copy of that special screw by using a regular allen head setscrew and welding a washer on the end. Obviously the washer wouldn't be free to move or swivel if welded but apparently not a big deal. Don't recall if any size or dimensions were given but length would depend on depth of trim.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 11:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Fred: What was the source for the mirrors? Picture taken at Warren meet in 2009

Attach file:

jpg  (225.58 KB)
272_50b903713e0e5.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2012/11/30 14:05
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Sorry, that picture is of a 22nd series.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 14:07
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I bought the mirrors from American Arrow Corp in 2010. They cost about $650 for the pair. They are very high quality.

The latest ideas about the mounting seem right. The hole in the door skin is shaped like an old keyhole. If you make a 1/4" wide hole right next to the larger hole the lock washer would have something to bite into. This is really mickey mouse but I guess it was designed to install the mirror without removing the trim strip from the car or taking the door upholstery off. I have the trim off, so I can do a much better job with a Dremel tool and make the slot a bit deeper than half of a 1/4" hole. The grinding on the door skin is much easier if the trim strip is removed from the car. If I remember I will take some photos and submit them.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 22:10
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved