Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 29 »

Re: Larry's 1951 Club Sedan Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
BRAVO Larry! Excellent work! Beautiful detail work. I wish I had the time to work on my '55 Clipper.. .. it will come someday ..

Posted on: 2012/12/10 0:12
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks Paul. It's worth waiting . . . I've had the car for a long time (maybe 12 years?) and didn't get a chance to do much on it until I retired in 2006. Even since then I haven't gotten much done!

Posted on: 2012/12/10 1:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Larry51 wrote:
Trunk Lid Prep

The final stage (future) will be applying new stoneguard. Have yet to discover if the final paint goes over the stoneguard, or whether the stoneguard stays 'au natural' black.

It had been sprayed over on my boot lid, but I noticed the lid paint was not original. Had been re-sprayed some time, so not sure what the factory 'original' scheme was.

Original was painted over the sprayed on asphaltic sound deadener or stoneguard.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 1:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Lookin GOOD Larry.
Wes

Posted on: 2012/12/10 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Looks great! Your patience and diligence are paying off!

Posted on: 2012/12/10 8:42
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
great job!

Posted on: 2012/12/10 9:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
As always, thanks for your comments fellas. I'm trying to post my Project as clearly and comprehensively as some of you guys - who do a great job and help so many others.

Thanks BDeB for the info on the trunk lid - I'll paint over the Schutz when I do it.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 2:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Body painted at last!

I think of this as the most gratifying bit of progress so far. Sure is a good feeling to see the car looking 'half-decent' after nearly ten years of it being in its underwear (so to speak). It's a bit like the caterpillar finally turning into a butterfly.

The next event that I think will be equally satisfying will be when the 288 eventually comes back to life after more than 40 years silent. Hopefully that is some time in the not too distant future.

I finished the actual spray-painting of the main body shell a few weeks ago. Then sprayed the front guards, spats (wheel covers) and trunk lid etc (- which had not been refitted to the shell since restoring them). Should have posted but in the meantime I had my PC fail (slowly over a few weeks). The motherboard went belly up so now have replaced it.

There are around ten coats (-four colour, six clear). I used acrylic after much consideration. It was difficult trying to decide between acrylic and 2-pak. Car was colour sanded with 1200, 1500 and finally 2000.

The entire car was machine buffed a couple of weeks later after spraying, when paint had hardened. (Prefer to wait, even though it takes more time to buff. Personal opinion is that I can achieve better gloss by doing that). Buffed the guards / trunk lid etc while off the car then fitted them. There is still another full machine buffing to be done before it is hand-buffed to get the best finish I possibly can.

Couldn't resist placing the grille in position as well as the Packard script!

Despite having the newly chromed bumpers and overriders all ready to fit, I'll leave them off until the engine / gearbox etc are fitted.

Now it's the mechanicals to be getting on with.

A few views of the Matador Maroon Metallic
Click to see original Image in a new window

This photo tends to give the best rendition of the colour . . .

Nice to have the P-A-C-K-A-R-D script on

Posted on: 2013/2/9 6:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Very nice work Larry! When I painted my 51 last month, I sprayed the underside of the trunk, masking off the undercoating. After the paint was well dried, I masked off the paint area and repainted the undercoating. From what I can find, the undercoating was applied first and the paint was applied with some overspray going on the undercoating. The undercoating will bleed thru the paint.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Beautiful!

Good looking car.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 10:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved