Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 223

BigKev, Guscha, pack36997, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brake Shoes fitting
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Hi Rich,

Sorry I missed your PM but for some reason it did not come through. Anyway could you tell me what the thickness of the webbing was on your original shoes? Also what was the part number on the outside of brake shoes box that you received.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
1-800-526-1096
Ext 316

Posted on: 2013/1/2 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Just to followup.

Old brake shoe webbing = 3/16"
Kanter provided brake shoe webbing = 5/32"

Measurements taken with a micrometer.

Numbers on box are as follows:
Sharpie: 351210
Printed sticker: BS55

Regards,
Rich

Posted on: 2013/1/13 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Hello Rich,

Thank you for the measurements. Fred Kanter and I will be working together to look into this issue as it is the first of it's kind according to my Packard department. But to speed things up I have pulled a set of brake shoes (BS 55) and 2 new production brake adjusters, test fitted them and they do fit nicely. The measurements that gave me coincide with the set I pulled from stock.

We offering to send you 2 brand new adjusters free of charge if you would like to correct your fitment issue. If you are interested please email me with your address, so that I may ship them out to you.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
1-800-526-1096
Ext 316
jfrom@kanter.com

Posted on: 2013/1/14 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm a bit confused.

Fom post #1 of this thread:
"Took a dremel to the shoes to make the old parts fit."

From a post just above"
"Old brake shoe webbing = 3/16"
Kanter provided brake shoe webbing = 5/32". "

3/16 = 6/32 which is greater than 5/32. So the OLD shoes are thicker than the new shoes. Therefore why was there any need to grind the new shoes with a dremel to reduce the thickness???

Posted on: 2013/1/15 8:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I had made that realization too, but I figured that he had mixed the numbers up. Meaning the 3/16 was our brake shoes webbing thickness and the 5/32 was his original, so rather than questioning I just made the assumption.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
1-800-526-1096
Ext 316

Posted on: 2013/1/15 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
I'm a bit confused.

From a post just above"
"Old brake shoe webbing = 3/16"
Kanter provided brake shoe webbing = 5/32". "

3/16 = 6/32 which is greater than 5/32. So the OLD shoes are thicker than the new shoes. Therefore why was there any need to grind the new shoes with a dremel to reduce the thickness???

PackardV8,

That indeed is a mistype. I needed to take a dremel to the new shoes. And to clarify, the new shoe webbing is thicker than the old ones.

Regards,
Rich

Posted on: 2013/1/15 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Yes we were aware of what you had to do to correct the issue to make the shoes work(using the dremel) at the time and the thickness of the B.S. webbing, but this was our way of trying to help by offering new adjusters. Had you tried contacting our Packard department when you discovered the issue with the brake shoes?

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2013/1/15 12:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Quote:

jfrom@kanter wrote:
Yes we were aware of what you had to do to correct the issue to make the shoes work(using the dremel) at the time and the thickness of the B.S. webbing, but this was our way of trying to help by offering new adjusters. Had you tried contacting our Packard department when you discovered the issue with the brake shoes?

Thanks
James

In my last post I clarified and verified the mistype I had made . I did not contact the Kanter Packard department as I was a bit irritated the shoes didn't fit as expected. I knew what I had to do to make it work. I thought I had purchased what were fitted parts for my car.

I'm certainly not here to bust Kanter, and I will need your help in the future - maybe you can make it all better then . Remember I took the measurements as you requested. I do appreciate the offer for the adjusters, but that doesn't technically resolve the problem. The emergency brake fork needs room, as do the wheel cylinder posts, and the shoes are on the car now.

The original post was for me to verify other shoes were like this, and to help other folks know they'll need more time to do the job.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Peace,
Rich

Posted on: 2013/1/16 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RichK.
Thank u for the correction and the clarifications. Of all things, corrections and clarifications are the most important to any effort.

Glad to hear that u got the problem resolved inspite of the additional difficulties experienced. We all learned something from this. The more heads involved in a project the better the outcome. -PV8

Posted on: 2013/1/16 10:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved