Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '55 Clipper station wagon
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kanadanmajava
See User information
The rear parts might be from a Ford product but still heavily modified. The sides in '57 Edsel are quite similar but in those the wing starts from the front door. Mercury's wing starts from the rear door but the shape is quite different.

Completely scratch built conversion is still a possibility.

Hard to tell without more pictures. I'll try to convince my brother to visit the car again.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 3:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I love it. It appears to be a Clipper Custom, judging by the door panels. I can still see the angled sculpturing on the bottom of the rear door, and the two tiered rear bumper. Roof does seem especially well done.

Ross doesn,t need a donor car--I?m sure I could find two or three by the end of the month. Ross needs a customer with deeeep pockets cause its going to take a lot of hours!

Posted on: 2013/2/11 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Yes, it does look more Edsel-like. The Mercury scoops were higher and narrower. There WAS an Edsel wagon as well, was there not?

Good luck getting more pics or info. Tell your brother he has an entire forum of Packard nuts on the edge of its collective seats!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 22:55
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kanadanmajava
See User information
My brother took more pictures of the car. Not totally surprise but it is a hearse. The rear seat seems to folding so it is a 6-passenger hearse.

Click to see original Image in a new window

It looks quite good in this picture.

Rear seat is doesn't look very comfy and there is really weird ceremonial contraption behind the divider wall.

Rear window doesn't fit very well. Probably borrowed from some newer car.

I think my guess about the tail lights was right. The rear lights look very similar than these red bus tail lights.

http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/images/Bus_SMCS_2012_007_Bristol%20VRT%20ECW_NUD%20105L_rear.jpg

Posted on: 2013/2/15 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Interesting Clipper! Studying the details confirms it's not a backyard conversion. None of the upper rear quarters, windows surrounds or roof match exactly any American station wagon of those years. It really appears to be the product of a professional European funeral coachbuilder.

I suppose if someone shipped it to the U.S for restoration, it could be passed off as a prototype '55 Clipper station wagon. If someone wants to take on a Clipper wagon conversion project, the '54-'56 Buick Specials and Centurys wagons look to be the dimensionally closest.

Thanks for sharing this curious Clipper with us!

Steve

PS: Replace those bus tailights with '51-'53 200/Clipper units set horizontally, insert some 'Reynolds wrap' in that framed quarter panel wrapped around to background the tailights and replace that heater vent rear grille with something more automotive.....and folks would believe it was a protoype!

Posted on: 2013/2/17 9:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
Portugal seems to like wagons. I wonder, how far apart are these? Same builder?
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=123634.0
Interesting cars, Tom

Posted on: 2013/3/6 0:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
Portugal seems to like wagons. I wonder, how far apart are these? Same builder?
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=123634.0
Interesting cars, Tom

Posted on: 2013/3/6 0:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Yes, I know: It's been quite a long time since the rear view of the black sedan has been posted. I just stumbled over it and I think I can throw some light on this peculiar car.

It has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, the Clipper hearse. It is a French car, a 2nd generation Simca Vedette (French for "actress"), ca. 1960. There were several sub-models over the years, the least expensive the Ariane, powered by the in-house built, diminutive 1300cc "Rush Super" four. Ariane 8 and other variants, like Trianon, R?gence, Chambord, Pr?sidence (with continental kit!) or Marly station wagon, generally used a V-8 engine. This was a 2.5 liter derived from the Ford flathead, mainly introduced to avoid high taxes. Possibly, the winged logo indicates the V-8, although I am not sure about this.

Simca was formed of Ford France S.A.F. (also known as "Matford" for some time as car maker Mathis started mounting US Fords in the 1930s). Here in Switzerland, these Simcas were a common sight.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:40
The Ride Did Decide!

1956 Packard Executive Hardtop
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved