Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1942 Packard 160 on E Bay
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Dale,

That's good advice. Live with it for a while. Cleaning the car, polishing everything, gives you a close view of every flaw that others will never see. It's a magnificent car. Wow.

Everything original on the car is precious. If you remove Anything, for whatever reason, put it in a cabinet and save it. That includes original carpet, and any bent, rusted, worthless looking parts that you replace with something better from the auto store. You will need it someday. I guarantee it. I've had the Duchess since 1959 and I did cool things like changing the wheels and tires to 15" from 16" to run lower and so I could buy recap tires for $5, hood ornament to a late 40s bird, drilling holes in my parking lights for racing mirrors, replacing the steering wheel for a smaller diameter one used on newer models. I wished for years I could have afforded wire wheels. Glad I saved that expense.

For your wheels, besides hubcaps and trim rings, you can add chrome hub covers. They would look great.

Get plugged in to the Packard club(s). And speaking from personal experience, you can rely on the group at packardinfo.com to help you with anything Packard.

Joe

Posted on: 2013/5/11 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
I live 20 miles from Warren Ohio and the Packard museum. I bet I could drive it up there and have a great time. I will wear my Father's old "Fedora" from the 50's when it go. Hey Joe thanks the gentleman said that there is a whole box of the original trim pieces wrapped up in a box when the Packard war restored. The Owner used NOS trim to restore the 42 and kept all the trim that was taken off. Again I thank you all for any advice you can give. It is hard not being able to "kick the tires" when you buy a Pig in a Polk" and not see it first. I bet some of you are LOL about me!! I sure can see why!! You only go around once in life, and it might as well be in Packard!!! Dale

Posted on: 2013/5/11 13:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 1942 Packard 160 VIN Tag
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings I have a Photo of the VIN tag that I bought. The top # is 1552-2188. But there is no Date or Dealer info on the lower ares of the tag. Is the the norm not to have that listed on the VIN tag? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/16 16:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
It was not uncommon for the dealer not to do it, unfortunately. If the motor has not been replaced, you can get a rough idea of when the car was built. The motor number is on the drivers side, rear top. It may take some thinner and rag to get it cleaned up enough.

I just noted that you bought the tag. You can go to the Packard Dealerships on this site and see what dealer was close to you and put that it if you like.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The tag was metal number stamped at the factory. The rest of the info was added by the dealer later.

On mine, from Earle C. Anthony in San Francisco, it was rubber stamped in those areas. The ink can rub off, but maybe if you could figure out the original dealer from here
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/dealer/

and you know the car was sold in 1941 or 1942, you can use a lupe or very strong magnifying glass and see if you can detect any letter forms.

Perhaps some dealers didn't bother to stamp them.

O, I see, David is giving you the same basic info.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Well you have aided with help my sleep tonight. As a police officer I had all kinds of ideas running through my head about this VIN Tag. Thanks i owe you all a cold one. Dale

Posted on: 2013/5/16 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Deputy Law -- Monsignors Troxell, post #10, and Santana, post #11 speak the truth. Belay the wire wheels. They look tacky on Packards after the mid-'30s. Keep it simple. Less is more.

Live with it, get your sea legs, baby steps. One thing at a time, no rush. Too many CCCA Cadillac-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack (thank you, Billy Joel, "Movin' Out") types buy Packards,
glom on every piece of glitz they can. That's not what Packard was about.

Wire wheels are out of character for such an elegant road car as yours.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 1:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Thanks , So Noted. I shall heed the advice. Dale

Posted on: 2013/5/17 7:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Never ceases to amaze me the stores of information, insight on this best of all possible autoholic sites. Noting you're in Youngstown, Antique Auto Battery on 602 West Rayen Avenue, 1 (800) 426-7580 has bolt in 55-amp, 6-volt, positive-ground alternators for all 49,651 1940-50 senior Packards produced using the 356 with its fat fanbelt, were tooling for the special pulley we require last i heard, depending on level of interest.

Many of us are big on authenticity, but if you drive at dusk or at night, want brighter head and tail lights, faster batter recovery, this is one place to deviate from factory, no altering or butchering of the car in the least required.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Thanks, West Rayen Is in the Hood and I shall stop by and bend their ears. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/17 14:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved