Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 147

HH56, 39Rollson, humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, 37Blanche, uwe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Looking for some help with engine bay paint colors
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Hello everybody,
I'm getting ready to pull the engine on my '55 400 for some maintenance. While it's out I want to detail the engine bay (clean and paint). A previous owner painted the engine blue, I know that's wrong. Is there a reference with modern paint numbers for under the hood? I've looked at the paint cross reference on this websight but it doesn't have any info for engine block and the black parts like the generator, etc. I'm going to use the picture of the engine from the sales brochure as a reference for what is black and what is ivory. Should any part that isn't ivory be gloss black, flat black, or somewhere in the middle? Should the fender walls, fresh air ducting, radiator top be gloss black? They say a picture is worth a thousand words so if someone has a picture of their engine bay that has been redone that would be a lot of help. Thanks in advance for any input. Brian

Posted on: 2013/5/10 20:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking for some help with engine bay paint colors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kevin from AZ will be along shortly and point you at the restoration of his 55 400. It is gorgeous and a model of what should be done.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 21:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
I remember seeing pictures of Kevin's project when he was painting the headlight buckets. I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find them or any others. I'm looking forward to him giving me some advice.
Another quick question, is it that much more difficult to pull the engine and transmission while they are bolted together than just pulling the engine? The tranny works fine but I thought as long as I've got some paint why not paint it also. Dropping the tranny is not an option because I'm working on my back on a creeper. If the tranny can be pulled at the same time as the engine while they are bolted together then great, I'll paint the tranny, if not, then it stays put in the car.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is very little trouble to pull the tranny with the engine and gives you a great opportunity to replace the shifter and throttle shaft seals, also the O-rings on the band adjusters. Plus all the painting and detailing goes much easier.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 16:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Great! That's what I'll do then. Pull them both as an assembly. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/12 18:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
I've decided to leave the transmission in the car and only pull the engine. The repair manual says the grill and fenders have to be removed to pull the engine and transmission simultaneously and I'm not ready to do that much tearing down at this time.
Where can I find Kevin from AZ's project blog for his restoration of his '55 400? That blog should have all the information I'm seeking. All I can locate is the blog about restoring his steering wheel.
Thanks in advance for your help. Brian

Posted on: 2013/5/15 22:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I have never done it, but I was always told that you can remove the front clip with 6 to 8 bolts. That would make it easier to pull the engine and transmission.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Whoops! Sorry Brian. I don't have per se a project blog like so many others here. I did it piece meal so to speak. Send me a PM and I forward pictures to help. I have hundreds of my journey.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 23:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
PM on the way.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 23:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
It's been a couple weeks, the engine is out, freeze plugs replaced, (forum info, thanks) head gaskets replaced (another forum), everything has been stripped and prepared for painting. I'm trying to find out what colors are correct for certain areas in the engine bay. When I was cleaning (degreasing) the engine bay I noticed something peculiar about the paint colors. Right now the top areas of the fenderwalls are gloss black while the areas under the fresh air vent ducts are flat black. When I removed some of the wire harness brackets on the upper fender walls there was the main body color under them, not black. Also, in the pockets where the vaccuum canister and radio antenna are, it was also the main body color. This only adds to my confusion about the correct paint scheme under the hood. Is it possible Packard painted the entire body (including firewalls) the main color then repainted the secondary colors on the body and painted the engine bay flat and gloss black? Here are some pictures of my engine bay and of the paint colors. I need to decide what I'm going to do as far as painting. I want to do it right but I haven't been able to find any guidance on the various Packard websights. It is supposed to dry out this weekend (not rain) and get a little warm (upper 60's)( Hey, it's the Pacific northwest). I'm ready to paint, just don't know what colors to load into the gun.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.87 KB)
1118_51a6e9c4d74c4.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (20.91 KB)
1118_51a6e9d0d09a0.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (23.59 KB)
1118_51a6e9db08400.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (21.72 KB)
1118_51a6e9e462acf.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2013/5/30 1:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved