Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

PackardSanta, Mr.D, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Transmissions issues from a new member
Just popping in
Just popping in

BloodSweatandWhiskey
See User information
I was playing around with this very thing last night. Good to know that others are doing this if it does not get any better. Was taking it easy on it not knowing the extent of the potential issues.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hi, Craig, I have, you burn fuel, but you move!!

Posted on: 2013/7/1 15:21
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi and welcome!
I too belong to the "feather shift" club - I hardly know I'm doing it anymore. The biggest help I have found for long sleeping T-Us is driving them.. When I first drove my '55 after all the service work I didn't think I'd make it home (mine sat for a shade under 30 years). I made sure all the linkage was adjusted properly, and the shop did the pan remove and clean then resolved to drive it until it was cured or killed. Fortunately, it has more or less cured it's self.

Someone here and I'm sorry I don't remember who, said the sometimes if these units were rebuilt, they used GM friction material. If so, I belive it means leaning to the GM type fluid - if not - Type F. While I run Type F in my '51, I'm running Type FA (a sort of blend of Type F & A)in my '55.

The main thing is just give it time as you'll have more than one issue you'll be dealing with. The first is the transmission just waking up (hopefully not as dramatically as mine) and at the same time evaluating transmission fluids.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 18:23
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
My 1955 400 transmission does the exact same thing as the original posters does. Mine is a 51,000 mile original car that does not appear to have been ever abused either. I dropped the transmission pan (it was very clean) and refilled the unit with B&M trick shift fluid. No improvement.

How hard would it be to drop the transmission and just replace the direct drive clutch plates? I've been thinking about doing this.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
JW,while it is out , you need to replace bushings, direct drive is only one plate,,,high range has multi-pack, plates,

if you follow the book it is not all that hard to rebuild, just there are up grades, people here can explain,

Posted on: 2013/7/4 15:06
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think some of them did that from the day they were new.

Packard started recommending friction modifiers (read Dexron) for the trans probably in a effort to stop the noise.

The wierd part is how the noise is intermittent.

You may find the pressures are good.

The only zone for intermittent pressure drops is in the governor circuit - if the flyweights act up every now and then it may be affecting the direct lockup.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 20:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved