Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 225

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), Ross, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

It's running nicely now, sort of.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
The clutch transplant was a success so I took the Clipper on a celebratory drive. It ran nicely to various places where I showed it off a bit, ending at the local petrol emporium for a tank full of gas. Fifteen gallons later I was headed home. The trip home is North two blocks, East one block, North three blocks East to the end of the block. The trip went fine until the first right turn at which time it died and wouldn't start. Through the kindness of strangers we got it into the Stater Brothers parking lot. A quick check showed no fuel delivery so there it sat for two days. (An inconvenient emergency service call intervened.) I returned with my portable air tank and blew through the line from the pump to the tank. It started right up and drove up to the next right turn and stopped. More CPR got it back down my driveway where it remains now. I suspect the gas pump dislodged some debris in the tank that plugs the pickup tube on right turns. It would have been nice if it had showed up before I filled the tank. All I need now is ambition.
Progress is being made, Tom

Posted on: 2013/9/15 18:20
 Top  Print   

Re: It's running nicely now, sort of.
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Three steps forward, two back is the rule. Or is it the other way around?

Posted on: 2013/9/16 1:00
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I like to take the "whole patient" approach to these things, I'd pull the tank, have it treated with the Re-Nu process, which will get it cleaned out and sealed, then check your fuel line going to the engine, make sure there is no rust (pinhole rust will drive you insane if it is happening) and replace the flex line to the fuel pump, that's probably pretty old now. One of the PAC regions has made new ones, I think Niagara Packards. How's the fuel pump? sometimes a car that has sat for a long time gets a lot of what is called gasoline today moving through it and the diaphragm has a disagreement with the chemical cocktail and that leads to fun. I'd go through all of that, make sure you are 100% and there will be less chance of road failure, and less devaluing of the car to the females in your life.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 10:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
Clean tank and dead sender.
Gas was drained and tank removed Sunday. Examination of the bottom revealed a fine grainy substance resembling beach sand. The pickup tube enters the tank at the lower left. It turns up then turns back down and stops very close to the bottom in well stamped into the tank. I suspect that right turns piled enough sand against the wall to block the tube while left turns moved it to the center of the tank. A trip to the car wash, 5 minutes of high pressure soap and high pressure rinse followed by towels stuffed through the sending unit hole left the inside sparkling clean. An examination of said sender found, along with the sunk float, an open element and ground strap. Auto Zone has a "universal" GM replacement for $20.00 that I'll try. There are no filters in the line; I wonder what fine grainy stuff that looks like beach sand does to fuel pumps and carburetors? I guess I'll have to look. That project has to wait for the 62 Mercedes brakes.

I shall report the success or failure of the Universal sending unit when I try it, Tom

Posted on: 2013/9/25 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Please save your money. Can guarantee that will not work. GM resistance rating runs opposite to Packard. Check the X-ref for multiple alternatives.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 6:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Ross said, it won't work. If going for universal, you need to find one with Chrysler or Ford values. Some of those year cars and 51-56 Packard need around 80 ohms empty and 10 full. GM type senders typically run opposite at 0 empty and 90 full. Some of the 57 Ford product senders bolt right in. Several prior threads give some places to get the drop in Ford items.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 9:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
If you're interested, I purchased a new sending unit on E-bay for $28, 4 mos. back It was listed as 57-60 Lincoln & it works fine. You might want to just check the float position & bend if needed. It was item #400439581433 at the time.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 18:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved