Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 turn signal advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hi guys:
I need advice again please.
My turn signal , passenger side does not work. the driver side works fine. the bulbs are all good.
-do I need a flasher or do I need to check some switch in the steering wheel.......?
thanks
tim

Posted on: 2013/11/15 14:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 1952 turn signal advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Tim,

Had the same problem on mine, turned out to be a bad ground. All I had to do was loosen the bezel and move it around until the signal would work. Make sure the metal is clean where the studs in the bezel go through the body.

Hope this helps,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2013/11/15 15:18
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The flasher does need a specific ohm or resistance range from the bulbs to work properly. First thing to check is if the correct filaments are selected at the bulb and the wiring connectors & grounds are all clean and tight. Grounds in particular are a source of problem.

If the brake light on the bad side lights and is brighter than the tail light, you can assume that filament, ground and wiring is OK. No way to check the front turn light filament and wiring without a jumper. You can find the 4 wire bakelite connector on the drivers side fender area which feeds the turn signals. The passenger side feed would be the orange wire. By touching a wire from hot side of battery (fused if you are more comfortable that way) to the connector you can verify that filament is the correct brighter one & there are no ground or wiring issues forward from the jumper.

If that checks good, since the drivers side works the flasher should be OK. Am assuming the indicator light flashes normally on the drivers side selection but not the passengers. If so, that only leaves the switch or connector at the steering column.

Here is an extraction of the turn signal circuit without showing the bakelite connector just mentioned. It is electrically correct but not necessarily an eyes on view of the system. Typically the fiber support holding the contacts inside the switch warp and contact isn't made when switch slides the L shaped piece (representation only) over it. You can use this diagram and the regular wiring diagram to see what is supposed to happen in the switch and troubleshoot at the round connector.

Attach file:

jpg  (92.89 KB)
209_5286805f9138e.jpg 1280X1060 px

Posted on: 2013/11/15 15:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
THANKS GUYS, I am on it now and will let you know.
t

Posted on: 2013/11/15 17:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Had the same problem with my 51. I would tighten up the lens and the turn signal would work for a while, then quit. Finally soldered a ground wire to the holder and ran the wire to a good ground on the body. That solved it.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I got both rear turn signal to work. cleaned everthing real well with sandpaper etc.
I followed the advice and cleaned the front pax signal. I cleaned all the connection inside the engine compartment on the inside fender up near the grill. I thought for sure it would work, but no luck. perhaps tomorrow I will take off the socket at the chrome housing on the bumper.

funny thing: on the center guage(speedo) at the 10 and 2 position there are two indicator lights. I fussed with these for a bit today. I thought they were both turn signal, left and right. well, they are not. one is hi beam and the other , I guess is one light for the signals. LOL
the hi beam I always thought worked, but not it shorts out. so I will have to fix that. I AM DOING ALL THIS SO I CAN GET MY SAFETY CHECK COMPLETE. wow.
I did get the light for the key in the ignition switch to work. nice.
thanks for all yur help. more later.
tim

Posted on: 2013/11/16 2:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved