Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 189

Todd W. White, 37Blanche, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1939 Coupe Serial number Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yep. As they say: "If is worth doing, it is worth doing twice." Actually, the car came off very well, but I too took a second look when I saw the ornament in the engine compartment.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/14 18:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Frank1951
See User information
To follow up, the car is registered with an ID number that corresponds to a 2 door coupe, which is what the car is.

The plate attached to the car has an ID number that identifies it to a 4 door vehicle. The plate is attached with some very loose fitting screws, not riveted.

How it got registered that way I don't know. I guess nobody checked the numbers.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 18:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The original plate was intentionally fastened with screws; though it wasn't always done this was so the dealer could remove it and stamp it with the dealer's name and date of sale which established the beginning of the warranty period.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Frank, if there are eight numbers on the registration papers, the first four for body type and the second four for production sequence (e.g., 1295-XXXX for a One-Twenty Club Coupe), you can buy a reproduction patent plate, have it stamped with the numbers, and have it installed. This would then give you a patent plate that matches the car and registration. You will be missing the delivery date and dealer name, but sometimes the original plates were not stamped with this information.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/15 11:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved