Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 225

Packard Don, BigKev, Wat_Tyler, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: leveling
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The brake switch checked out. I am leaning towards the rubber bushings. Is there a write up some where on replacing these. Ross, how long did it take and difficulty?
For some reason, messing with the TL scares the .... out of me.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 13:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Not to be afraid. You will need a decent hydraulic press to press the bushings in. Make sure you note the position of the dimple before you disassemble the upper control arm and count the revolutions and spacing of the upper pivot pin.
I just put jack stands under the lower control arms at the pivot pin to hold the car in position while I replaced the upper bushings.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'll be back in the country in March. Why not just contact me then. Bring the car up to north of Baltimore and I'll replace every rubber bushing front and rear for 1600 or thereabouts.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Thanks for the offer Ross. If I were a little closer to you, I'd take you up on the offer. I'm about 30 miles east of San Francisco.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
55Clipper, get your car ready for the PAC meet in 2015. I think I read, in The Cormorant News Bulletin, that it's going to be up your way next year.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 14:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
From what I hear we will have the 2015 meet. We had the 50th Anniversary of the Packard Club in 2003 which was good because the club was founded here and one of the founders is still in the area.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
55 i am in san diego, i will help you out if i can,,

Posted on: 2014/1/30 23:10
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Riki,

Thanks for the nice offer. I'll keep it in mind.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to confirm, PAC has published the time and place for the PAC 50th National Meet as July 2015 in the San Francisco area.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 10:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
I had the same problem with my '55 400. The suspension was loose as a goose, no binding. When I would lift up on the rear bumper the front end would drop and then some body weight on the front bumper would level the car back out. I found out the contacts inside the compensator switch box were out of alignment. The were leaning towards each other and the pivoting contact point was going from raise to lower, back and forth because when the bi-metallic point would release from one contact it would touch the other contact instead of reaching a neutral position. I simply straightened the raise and lower contact so they were parallel with each other and no more seesawing. I did a bench test of the switch after adjusting the contact points and it worked like it should so I installed it and it worked fine. Since your problem only occurs when you are in motion, you might try spreading the contact points apart a little to increase the neutral position space. You will probably need to adjust the turnbuckle on the suspension adjustment after you adjust the contact point gap. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 17:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved