Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
267 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 266

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

32 Oil Pan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mcsilves
See User information
For my '32 900 Standard 8, I dropped the oil pan to clean out any sludge (knowing that has not been done for more than 10 years). There was a reasonable amount, so it will be good to have that done. After removing hardware, it took loosening the trans and about 3 hours of gentle prying, but it came off unscathed! This is a great running engine, with good oil pressure, but a few questions:
(1) I assume it is best to remove and clean the oil manifold (distribution line), even though it should be clear and I hesitate to disturb it?
(2) I'll inspect everything at the bottom end, including the oil pump, is there any other recommended operation before I close it up?
(3) Does anyone make a "rebuild kit" for the oil level gauge (gaskets, float)?
(4) I plan to use "yellow grease" for gaskets (that's what the old guys used, easy to remove later) unless there is a better recommendation.
(5) I've been advised to use Shell Rotella 15W-40, unless others have a better recommendation.
(6) Manual says 8 quarts, is that with or without filter? Don't want to assume float level is accurate.
(7) Critical question: Is there any need or process for priming the oil pump, especially if I clean the oil manifold? I don't see how you would prime this internal pump, but have had to do that on others where it is basically external. Just want to make sure!
Any other advice from others that have done this is appreciated. Most is basic, but I want to verify everything!

Posted on: 2014/3/5 23:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 32 Oil Pan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1. Couldn't hurt to remove the main bearing feed manifold to make sure it's clean inside. New gaskets easy to cut from plain gasket paper.
2. Depends how adventuresome you want to be. Dropping a couple of rod bearing caps to see the condition of the babbit and the clearances would be tempting; you could also make the case for leaving it alone.
3. You can make the gaskets and the cork float easily enough. Coat the cork with shellac. I'm not aware of a kit.
4. I presume you mean the oil pan gaskets? I use gasket cement on the pan side, and light grease on the crankcase; this still allows easy removal later.
5. Probably a good choice though with roller tappet cam it's really not needed at all. I use an SAE 30 detergent in my 34 (Forumla Shell SAE30) and have for decades.
6. Mine takes about 7-1/2 w/o the filter. Your EF-2 Purolator probably holds about a pint.
7. The oil pump sits submerged below the oil level of the crankcase so no need to be concerned with priming it.

Give me a call if you want to chat further about it, number's in the club directory.

Dave

PS - as to how you described your car, you probably meant to say a Light Eight, not a Standard Eight?

Posted on: 2014/3/5 23:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved