Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1940 1808 Rear Leaf Springs and Schock Links
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I seem to also remember marking, or there were indentations on the springs as to where exactly the axle is to be remounted. Making sure everything is in the same position. You will see that when you get new front and rear bushings from steele, they will get chewed up within a year or so, if you drive the vehicle on a somewhat regular basis. Their rubber might be a bit softer than original. Thanks for the information on the spacers. Will check out the delrin lead.
I believe also noted the springs left, right and which way was towards the front, again to make sure everything went back together as removed.
As seen in the pictures, if you get a lead on the rubber for the brackets please let me know. I suppose could make a mold and use some Flexane. But Flexane is expensive, and as I remember you need to use the whole bottle withing a short period of time.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 23:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
if you get a lead on the rubber for the brackets please let me know

If you mean the rubber that goes under the straps that keep the leaves from spreading, any good truck spring shop should have it in bulk rolls, that's where I got mine.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 23:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
ok, that was easy, thanks.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 0:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Went to a few big truck parts and service areas, they had rubber but was all much larger. Than needed. Ordered three sizes from McMaster-Carr. Numbers are 8507K47, 8510K29, and 8693K16. Just trying to guess about what might be needed. And if too thin can double up a smaller one inside of a larger one, which I had to do on two. I don't know which size is which as they came unmarked. Unfortunately the minimum is ten feet of each. There are two pictures, one with using only one of the new strips of rubber, and the other with a smaller size inside of a larger piece. On some parts of the spring one size was thick enough to do the job, on a couple others had to use a smaller size inside of a larger size, to make sure the shackle tightened up enough against the spring leafs. You will need to cut the corners of the rubber to get it to fold inside of the three sides, then trim. Both pictures are early attempts at trimming, and with a bit of practice now look better. I believe one picture still shows one section not trimmed yet.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the continued input from everyone.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.02 KB)
733_536948d8aa8b6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (86.30 KB)
733_536949010ef97.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/5/6 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a 39 120, which I suspect has similar problems. So please keep us posted on your progress and hopefully success.

On a related issue, my 51 200 rides pretty nice with two average sized adults. I took three XXL sized friends for a ride earlier this week and the car looked like a low rider in the rear. Any suggestions on how to correct these issues, other than air shocks?

Posted on: 2014/5/6 21:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved