Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 175

Mr. Mayo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 400 parking pawl
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
As I recall the parking pawl in the early automatic transmission had this problem. I would deeply appreciate any comments and or suggestions in repairing this problem to prevent it reoccuring.

Happy

Posted on: 2014/3/6 11:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 400 parking pawl
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were several things Packard found that caused sticking in the early TU's. Parking pawl, parking gear, linkage & manual valve to name some. Hopefully they were all corrected when the car was new but there is no way of knowing.

You can go to the 55-6 service index using the link on the left pane. Under Twin Ultramatic, look for the various articles pertaining to sticking in park for a list of the pertinent bulletins. About the only way to know which if any is applicable is to check each one out and see if your car might be experiencing that issue.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 11:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
are you having problems with it getting stuck in park? talk tohttp://www.ultramaticdynamics.com/ the last one i did it seemed like the cam that pushes the parking pawl travels too far, then has to push the pawl back up then drop it down to clear the gear.., Talk to peter finch..

Posted on: 2014/3/6 11:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Peter Fitch, not Finch.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
The car has not moved under its own power since it went in to a garage with a leaky roof I 1976. The garage fell down around it. I thought all though The engine was frozen It was a complete car, showing less than 37,000 miles and would be worth restoration. The body is currently off the frame, the motor has been rebuilt, due to a a hole burned in the compression ring grove and a nick in the bore. There was very little ridge at the top of the cylinder bore.

Happy

Posted on: 2014/3/6 21:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
You may wish to consider looking at Bendtsen transmission. I had them install a 700R4 in my 55 400. Pictures are on his website and here under modifications. It works great!

Posted on: 2014/3/8 18:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved