Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 213

RKS, Bob J, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1940 overdrive?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, lots of good info here. I would like to add that the only advantage of an R6 is that it engages as a result of centrifugal action, no Governor involved. The only electrics involved are for kickdown. I would avoid the R6 unless you need one for an authentic 1939 ( Senior and Junior have different input shafts), as they can be damaged easily if not locked out correctly. If you have an R9 you are not out of the woods as they can be a bit recalcitrant and can also be damaged on lockout. R10 is Studebaker/Ford/whatever box and does not fit Packard and there are no interchangeable parts, apart from maybe the solenoid. R11 is a brilliant box and works well if you respect it. Read the instructions and try to understand how it functions. It is worth your efforts. I am currently fitting a 1939 R6 OD to my 1937 Super rumble seat coupe. No problems at this stage and I have sat in front of the vehicle for a few hours with the gearbox/tools and a beer. I have heard no thunderclaps or other indications that Mr Macauley would have disapproved. PT

Posted on: 2014/3/19 3:29
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Thanks for the detailed info. Since Studebaker used the R11 overdrive on the T85 cars, as did Packard V8s in '55-56 and I'm quite familiar with that.

For strength and ease of installation in this 1940 160, it seems we're looking for a mid-48 to 1950 Packard overdrive transmission. Correct?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/3/20 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
For strength and ease of installation in this 1940 160, it seems we're looking for a mid-48 to 1950 Packard overdrive transmission. Correct?

jack vines

Yes, correct.
A Custom 8 unit would drop in with no changes due to the larger input shaft.
You would need to swap out some parts from the existing transmission for a unit with the smaller input shaft.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 12:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BDeB, in addition to the larger input shaft didn't the senior car unit also have different (more rugged) internals like a planetary with 4 gears around the ring/sun instead of 3?

Posted on: 2014/3/20 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
BDeB, in addition to the larger input shaft didn't the senior car unit also have different (more rugged) internals like a planetary with 4 gears around the ring/sun instead of 3?

Yes, it did but only for the R9 (Senior cars used the R9 A)

All of the R11's used the same internals for 1948 to 1950 and shared most parts with the later units as well.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Nomenclature question:

The 1951-64 Studebaker V8 has a Borg-Warner T86 transmission and an R10 overdrive attached

The 1955-56 Borg-Warner V8 transmission is a T85 and the overdrive unit is an R11.

However, it seems some knowledgeable Packard folk refer to the transmission with or without overdrive as an R9 or R11. What's correct nomenclature for a standard transmission with and without overdrive?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/3/20 22:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
If you'd like to take a look Jack, my project blog has a very detailed account of installing R-11 in my '40 160. All I can say is its magnificent! Very worth the effort if you enjoy living in the 75 mph world of the western US. Go for it!

Posted on: 2014/3/20 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
Nomenclature question:

The 1951-64 Studebaker V8 has a Borg-Warner T86 transmission and an R10 overdrive attached

The 1955-56 Borg-Warner V8 transmission is a T85 and the overdrive unit is an R11.

However, it seems some knowledgeable Packard folk refer to the transmission with or without overdrive as an R9 or R11. What's correct nomenclature for a standard transmission with and without overdrive?

jack vines

Packard made their own 3 speed transmission up until 1954 and the basic design evolved from the 1935 One Twenty. There was no special designation for the 3 speed without overdrive.

The R9 or R11 designation really only applies to the Borg-Warner overdrive unit that was assembled to the back of the 3 speed with an intermediate adapter.

Many people may refer to the complete assembly with overdrive as an R9 or R11 but would not use the same description for the regular 3 speed unit.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 1:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard made their own 3 speed transmission up until 1954

BDeB, it's my understanding that Packard made their own transmissions thru 1954, not until 1954. Am I incorrect about this?

Posted on: 2014/3/21 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Packard made their own 3 speed transmission up until 1954

BDeB, it's my understanding that Packard made their own transmissions thru 1954, not until 1954. Am I incorrect about this?

"Up until 1954" is meant to include 1954

Posted on: 2014/3/21 9:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved