Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 210

winger, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

loose carb linkage. (slop)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

T from KC
See User information
1937 115 I have so much slop in my throttle shaft the resistance of the fuel pump bore holds the throttle plate barely open . Being connected to the other side of the throttle shaft via linkage. The slop causes the throttle plate open from the fuel pump having a tight bore to hold up on the shaft linkage . The return spring closes the other side to the stop. Carb is great otherwise. I want a DIY fix . The slop is on the shaft that has a pressed end to the throttle pull.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 21:28
 Top  Print   

Re: loose carb linkage. (slop)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assume you have the C-G carb as shown in fig 7 of 37 shop manual?? If so, that is not a very detailed photo so hard for those of us not having one to guess what might work. Any kind of permanent fix would probably require professional help but maybe someone could suggest something short term by looking at the offending linkage. Any chance you could post a good photo or two of the problem area(s)

Posted on: 2014/3/17 10:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

41 special 1485
See User information
A DIY fix off the top of my head would be:
Add a center drilled hole at the end of the throttle shaft - a very small one. Not sure if the throttle pull is peened over onto the shaft or not, so observe and act accordingly. Then I would fabricate an adjustable vertical stanchion with a small centering cone mounted horizontally, to enter previously drilled throttle shaft.
Sounds like a challenging project, might be easier to send the carb out, in order to have the throttle shaft bores rebushed.
Good luck.
Tom

Posted on: 2014/3/22 17:01
Stop wasting time......get back to work!
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Can you fit a small piece of brass shim around the shaft to take up some clearance? Perhaps another way would be to drill a small hole in the bearing housing where the looseness is and tap a thread say 1/8" or 3/16". Fit a brass screw in the hole so that it gently pushes the shaft toward one side of the bearing. These sound a bit agricultural but may be a possibility. The only real fix is the have the bearing holes enlarged and rebushed and possibly a new shaft.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 4:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
A good machinist can repair the slop on a mill.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 18:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved