Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Serial #
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Question: I would like to know where my car was originally sold and who was the first owner. Is there anyway that the serial # could reveal this information? I would like to trace it's history back. JE

Posted on: 2014/5/24 14:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Serial #
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi JE: First off, unless it's any extremely early car (pre-1915 or so), the key identifying number is a vehicle number, not a serial number.

Chances of identifying the original owner are pretty slim, almost zero, but worth a long shot. One way is to track down all the prior owners and if enough of them are still on this side of grass and established the history prior to their ownership, you might get lucky. Also a very slim chance by contacting The Packard Club's roster keeper for your particular year and series.

You don't say what year and model you have, if your car is an extremely rare model (like one of only a dozen or so built) the histories of some such cars have been established, but generally not for the bread-and-butter models.

Not much survives in the way of original delivery information. I have some limited data (about 800 cars out of about 1.5 million) from 4 or 5 dealers (out of more than 1000) and I don't think anyone has a larger database; if you give me the theft-proof and vehicle numbers I'd be glad to take a look, but don't get your hopes up.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 14:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Serial #
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Thank you. The car is a 1950 Packard. Actually, it was built in the Fall of 1949. A renumbered 1950. I traced it back to 2002 but I couldn't go any further back. It would be interesting to trace the ownership back to the first owner and the first dealer but I guess, that part of the alure is what has been lost in the fog of time. Leaves a lot to the imagination. JE

Posted on: 2014/5/24 20:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved