Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I'm fairly certain that your ignition switch will turn both anti-clockwise and clockwise with the key. If it is wired correctly, a left turn will not energize the coil but provides battery to the radio and other accessories if fitted. A right turn powers the coil as well as providing battery (via the starter switch on the carby) to the solenoid on the starter motor.

The original switch will handle 12v with no problems. Remember that you'll have to replace the instrument lamps with 12v ones - it's easy to overlook those.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
outstanding, thanks for the info guys. And I have no problem replacing light bulbs, every one on the car was either broken or burned out anyway. All of that along with the old wiring is in a pile on the floor (appropriately labelled of course) ready for reassembly...some day.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 13:24
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Larry, your switch has an accessory position? Mine does not and I do not see it mentioned in the owners manual.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 19:11
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Larry, your switch has an accessory position? Mine does not and I do not see it mentioned in the owners manual.

51Packard, 22nd and earlier did not have acc positions but 23rd on did and yours should be the same switch. Does your switch have a thick round screw on bezel or a flatter stamped thinnish bezel.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.44 KB)
209_53b34fba2f25a.jpg 553X188 px

Posted on: 2014/7/1 19:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Yes. Bezel on my dash is plain, there is no script on the dash or switch to tell you that a left turn is to power "accessories", and right is to start the car. I guess Packard expected everyone to read the Owners Manual or have a fiddle and see what came on!

Posted on: 2014/7/2 6:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The acc position must have still caused some confusion at the time & Packard had a very hi tech approach to let their customers know how the switch operated. They eventually made a very ordinary looking decal and stuck it on the dash under the switch with the positions designated. There is a good photo of the solution somewhere on site.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 9:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Wow never dreamed my switch was an earlier type. Learn something new everyday!

Posted on: 2014/7/2 19:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I looked at my ignition switch and there does appear to be all the connections for an accessory position. Of course I can't test it without a key, but once I make a trip to the lock shop we'll have that covered.

Quiz time! I just got around to really looking at the rear brakes, before I take them apart to clean things up and replace the cylinders and shoes. See if you can figure out what they did wrong, first picture is the left rear and then the right rear.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.14 KB)
34001_53b8ac4e391c4.jpg 640X478 px

jpg  (19.42 KB)
34001_53b8ac5cb0a5c.jpg 640X478 px

Posted on: 2014/7/5 20:55
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I installed new plug wires after cleaning up the distributor cap and buying a new coil, I'd like to think that had Packard survived the marketing department would have gone for the dress up option to sell more cars to the kids. Or these were good quality wires on sale, pick your motive.

Next step when I get some time is to rig up a battery and some starter wiring, then as soon as my new exhaust system shows up I can try to start it! Heck, maybe I might try it without the exhaust, we'll see if I can contain myself.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.38 KB)
34001_53b8ae0c7d051.jpg 640X478 px

Posted on: 2014/7/5 21:02
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
Looks like they put 2 primaries on one side and 2 secondaries on the other

Posted on: 2014/7/5 21:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved