Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

DavidPackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Is 12-volt conversion really necessary?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
Since the US conversion of cars to 12 volt around 1954 and 1955 how many $ in the reduced size of copper wire has been avoided on the millions of cars built? Could it be more than eliminating the intricacies of vent windows?
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/7/12 10:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a push toward 24 volts to reduce the size of wire even more.

A few years ago there started to be investigations into fiber optics and shared wires using multiplexing commands. Hope was to reduce weight and costs by eliminating redundant wiring. One example given was on a power window/lock system. They could run a single power wire to each door and then via thin fiber optic links command a module to work each window or lock from the drivers door -- or any other door depending on what type modules were installed in each door. I expect that will be coming before too long if it isn't here already.

Of course, to save weight and cost they could always copy Lucas, prince of darkness. If something called for a 16 ga wire install a 20 and hope it wasn't used too long or too often.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 10:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
No one has mentioned yet the availability of GOOD QUALITY 6v replacement parts such as bulbs, batterirs etc.
My 48 chief remained 6v for 40 year. Some 3 yeats ago the replacement batterys became extremely poor quality. I have enuf 6v parts atound here to build at least 6 more bikes. BUT I NEVER COLLECTED BATTERY! Foolish me. So i was forced to 12v.
Remember, much of the aftermarket NOW is harbour fright quality. It ain'nt 1985 anymore.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 11:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It ain'nt 1985 anymore.

Honestly, I don't remember the 80's cars being that spectacular. I think most anything built after the late 70's "gas crisis" was mediocre at best. A couple of good attempts but longevity was not the strong point on most I can think of. There were some nice comfortable cars but If they didn't quit or become money pits mechanically, then they rusted away instead.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've not experienced any problems getting high-quality batteries and other components for 6-volt Packards; in my view the only valid reason for a conversion to 12-volt would be the addition of AC.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I bought my 1952 200 just 3 years ago on july 5. I can't tell you how many people comment on the car and in conversation when the 6 volt battery topic comes up it is suggested I convert to 12 volt. Well I never have converted and never plan too unless a reasonable reason comes up.. I don't plan to have AC. although I could use it in Hawaii......
The last 3 years have been great. I have learned so much about my car. and I love the hobby. Now I have a proper tune up, Proper guage wires and a new battery and a new fuel pump the care starts very easy and quick. Before I made these necessary repairs the car didn't start easy and the battery was poor. it was a vicious cycle. I was spending all my cranking power to start a car that wasn't fit to start. It has been a good lesson.

THANKS TO ALL THE PACKARD OWNERS HERE FOR YOUR GENEROUS ADVICE AND WILLINGNESS TO SHARE.

TJHOLECEK
HAWAII, USA

Posted on: 2014/7/13 20:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
Do they suggest the 12V conversion after they pull the pocket tape measure out of their pocket and hold it up to the side window saying "needs about 4" outa here".
How that set of genes got around would make Darwin stutter.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/7/15 16:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved