Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Removing Temperature Gauge from dash
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi Everyone,
First of all I want to "thank" everyone for their input regarding my misfortune of breaking my temperature gauge where it mounts into the head. I have performed all of the work on my 37 115c since I purchased 20 years ago, however I have never had to go into the dash for any type of service. Now I need to remove the temperature gauge so I can have the sensor part of it replaced. What is the best way to remove it from the dash. I know that someone on this forum probably knows the best method of removal from the dash. Thanks again for any help.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 21:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing Temperature Gauge from dash
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The easiest way is to remove the dash, and put it on the work bench. I did that on my 39, and it allowed me to repair the damaged temp gauge, re-wood grain the dash, repaint the accent on the chrome and generally clean things up. But it you don't want to do that, remove the front seat and get under the dash with a good flashlight. The gauges unbolt from the back and can be removed. Just take photos so that you can remember how to put it back in. I posted a thread a year or so ago on repairing the temp gauge - it can be done if you have the right tools. I've done several gauges that way successfully. Let me know if you need some photos of the housing - I have some leftover parts from mine.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 23:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you David, I appreciate your help

Posted on: 2014/8/5 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Checked my old gauges - 3 nuts hold the gauge cluster in. Easy to get out, a bit harder to get back in. Be sure to disconnect the power as Murphy ensures that you will touch the wrong wire at the wrong time, causing you to flinch at the bright spark and smoke, snapping your head back and smacking it on some miscellaneous sharp object that you though you had removed. This will ensure that your children will get time out in school for talking like Daddy.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you again David for your reply. It sure is much tighter under the dash than I would have thought for a 1937 automobile. Many Thanks !!!

Posted on: 2014/8/5 21:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Corsa 7,

If it's set up like a 15th series 120 the lead runs up the firewall (inside, but under the firewall pad). It's not easy, but if You take the floor board & toe board out and go from underneath it's easier.

However if Your fortunate & flexible You may be able to get it done with just the seat removed ( probably the entire seat frame). I think there are one or two clamps that hold the lead to the FW. That necessitates removing the FW pad.

I may have a photo of that area without the FW pad, if I do I'll send copy.

Mr. Grubbs information is quite right.

Good luck & stay flexible.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2014/8/7 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you, I'm down to removing the firewall pad but not sure how the button retainers release so I can remove the pad ? Are you familiar with how they are removed. Thank you Packard 385 for responding to my post.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If your pad retainer clips are like the ones on my 115C, then simply squeezing the ends that protrude into the engine side of the cowl wall and pushing them through to the inside of the passenger compartment will do the trick.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/7 22:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
O.K. I will try that tomorrow, I thought I looked today at the firewall to see if they were visible from the engine side but might have overlooked them. Thank you for your reply.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 23:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Corsa 7,

JW is correct about those clips, although later Packard used a composition rubber type & I think the "Service Bulletin" mentions them as a replacement for the metal squeez type.
Sorry, I couldn't find any photos of the FW area with pad removed. Found a couple withpad on & acessories installed but I'm not too swift at loading photos in computer.

Take a few pictures as You go it will help with reassembly.
Do anything else in the area while You're doing it( it's a lot of work for one thing ).

Above all stay flexible & calm, "Remember they said,This is supposed to be FUN ?

Best of luck with the job !
Packard 385

Posted on: 2014/8/8 0:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved