Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water pump question
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have a quick question. There is a hole on the lower part of my 54 Clipper water pump that is threaded and is open into the pump. I can't remember taking anything out of that location when I shipped the pump to be rebuilt. If it is a pipe plug let me know and I will go get one and put it in. I am thinking the rebuilder did not replace the plug.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 17:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Water pump question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
It is the outlet for your heater hose. If your car has no heater then a plug goes there. If you have a heater a threaded nipple goes into the hole.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, the old memory has failed me this time. Now I need to look for the nipple. I do have a heater.

Thanks again now I can get it driveable Saturday.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 18:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You should be able to find the nipple at any decent plumbing supply store - pretty much a standard item of commerce.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 9:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You said the hole was on the lower part of pump. The heater hose return is on the radiator hose connection portion on top of pump and believe it is a common 3/8 pipe to 5/8 hose nipple. The hole on the bottom into the pump cavity may be a drain hole which was on some of the pumps. Believe that is a 1/8 pipe plug. There should also be a slot or unthreaded hole on bottom side just under the shaft or nose area for the seal weepage drain.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 9:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
You got it Howard, after looking at all the connections and tracing the hoses, there was only one conclusion and this morning I rounded up a 1/8 pipe plug in the garage and that was the solution. I couldn't remember taking anything off the pump like that, the rebuilder must have removed it when they cleaned and and did not put it back. All well now, thanks to everyone.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 16:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved