Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Upholstery cleaning?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Got the '48 custom eight club sedan in from Toronto just before Thanksgiving and after visually drooling over it for a few days, I've started the cleanup process. It's horrendously DIRTY, STINKY and NASTY inside. One word should tell you all you need to know: RODENTS

The original interior is there, but in a very fragile state. I need to clean the wool upholstery as best I can. In the future I'd like to restore the interior sourcing original or close-to-original upholstery, but since that's not going to happen now, cleaning is what needs to happen.

Other than wearing a hazmat suit, do people have helpful suggestions for cleaning this soiled and delicate upholstery?

Posted on: 2014/12/3 2:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Upholstery cleaning?
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I suggest you talk to a good dry cleaner about cleaning wool, but let him know you can't press it since it's upholstery. If the stink has reached the stuffing, it's a problem. I'm not sure ozone will help

Posted on: 2014/12/3 9:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
I haven't had much luck if the mice have been in there, the smell is difficult to remove. I have tried Ozone and it might help a little. Make sure you remove any nest, they seem to like the headliner. I also tried some liquid made to treat cat urine odor, that also helped, but nothing seems to remove it completely. Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/12/3 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The interior in my 55 Clipper needed a good cleaning, mostly to remove decades of tobacco residue from smokers. I used one of the Resolve products and terry cloth towels. The results were most satisfying. I don't know how the product will perform with removing animal odors, but it did leave a nice clean smelling sent. Attached is a photo of the product with a clean towel and another showing how much dirt the product was able to remove with one towel. I used many towels and containers of Resolve. Good luck.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.33 KB)
565_547f40f0c6901.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (39.59 KB)
565_547f4101935aa.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2014/12/3 11:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In the future I'd like to restore the interior sourcing original or close-to-original upholstery....

One of the many elegant features of the 22nd series Custom 8 was the patterned "shadowcloth" wool on the seat cushions. This was reproduced in all 4 colors just one time many years ago by Bill Hirsch and of course it all sold out almost immediately. My recent conversation with Bill concluded that he will not offer it again, so if its at all possible to save that material, I strongly encourage you to do so.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Recently had the opportunity to see an early 22nd series Custom Touring Sedan (painted headlight rims and bumper sections). It is an original car with paint and interior as it left East Grand Blvd. The interior is most attractive and rich looking. I have seen other Customs with replaced interiors, that while nice, did not come up to the same quality look as the original type. Carpeting and headliner can be replaced, but not seat and door materials.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/3 13:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
My interior is original and in pretty good shape.I find it hard to find a good replacement for that really nice Mostread carpeting that the Custom 8 s came with.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

A local collector here had some luck with a dry powder carpet freshener worked into the original cloth. It had rodent odor, repeated powdering, working it in carefully then vacuuming did the job. Sunlight is still one of the best fresheners, though color fading could be a problem.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/12/3 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

GTO wrote:
My interior is original and in pretty good shape.I find it hard to find a good replacement for that really nice Mostread carpeting that the Custom 8 s came with.

See this thread for replacement carpet material:

Wilton carpet material

Posted on: 2014/12/3 17:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks for the replies.

The upholstery, while still there and intact is not perfect and I would say it's not ultimately salvageable. It's faded and stained across the seat-backs, the wool is badly torn in a couple spots (though the down pillow padding is still in place). The foam is eaten away in a couple other places, moth holes and some stuffing removed from one of the rear seat-backs, not to mention both front and back seats are missing some buttons.

And then there are the less obvious sections of seating that are still in absolutely perfect shape. Like the portion of front facing of the rear bench seat under the legs is flawless and stands at full original rich blue and cream color with that beautiful subtle checkered pattern. Even the rear armrests are good. Nothing like seeing it like this to break your heart!

If Bill Hirsch reproduced this material in all four colors and "it all sold out almost immediately", why would he (or someone else) not make more? Sounds like the demand is there. These cars will be around for long after we'll all be gone. Someone's going to want more of it.

I may try the powder or Resolve. My greatest concern is that this material will not stand up to any aggressive rubbing. Some sites recommend a blotting action rather than rubbing. Professional steam cleaning is also recommended: has anyone done that on their wool upholstery?

Keep the suggestions coming if people have other experiences that might benefit me. I'm not rushing into this. I know this material needs to serve awhile longer, and if nothing else, it must provide a pattern for future new materials.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 18:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved