Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

JW49, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: HOLY S#$%&T BRAKE FAILURE!
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

WauhopM wrote:
I get out of the car and I can smell brake fluid-I look under the car no leaks-I think some of the brake fluid must have been sucked into the engine.

Any resolution to this, or is the car now tucked away in storage?

Congrats for getting the Parking Brake engaged. This is something all Crash-O-Matic owners need to practice regularly before the pedal goes to the floor. Good for you, too, for having a working Parking Brake (called an Emergency Brake for good reason in these situations) and make sure you check it regularly.

As for what happened, I'm no expert (see below) but I have had brake fluid "sucked into the engine" and this will result from having fluid leaking into the "vacuum side" of the MC. Not a good sign. If you get a significant puff of white smoke out the tailpipe right as the brakes give out (ask your mechanic if he saw any before you made your emergency maneuver) then this fluid sucking is at least part of what happened. I don't think you need to see any smoke to have the brakes fail, though, it's just a "bonus."

I have the impression (though not an expert opinion) that two things happen in a failure like this: the valve in the reservoir gets stuck and the fluid leaks into the vacuum section, sending the fluid pressure into the vacuum line instead of the brake line.

Whether or not that is exactly how it happens, you have trouble.

I have had this same situation, (total failure with fluid smell, but no fluid on the ground) after which the brakes worked a couple of more times before they went out completely. As PackardV8 said, check the fluid and see if it's lower than it was before the incident. Even if it looks like the level is the same, you've got trouble with the MC that won't go away by itself!

Get the MC rebuilt or replaced (great time to do it when you're not using the car) or you will be saying HOLY S#$%&T BRAKE FAILURE! again soon, or worse yet, you or somebody else might not be able to say anything at all.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 19:53
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
WauhopM,

With much discussion on what could have "caused" your momentary brake failure and no answer. We would like to extend an offer to you. Per Fred and Dan, we would like to send you a prepaid shipping label for you to send us your BTV to evaluate and rebuild for you free of charge. As part of it we will document our findings and share them within the forum in hopes to help with educating others on causes of failures with BTV. If you are interested please PM your full name, address and email.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2015/1/7 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I would like to thank you for your more than generous offer-but I have recently been driving the car and brakes seem to be working fine so I will decline your offer right now-also as it is Jan and cold outside I dont want to pull the unit out-the only place I have to work on the car is my driveway (the car itself is garage-kept). By the way this unit was rebuilt by Whitepost in late june.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
That might explain your problem.Whitepost is not really knowledgeable when it come to the BTV.You should have sent it to Ed Strain in Florida.He is the expert and he has all the parts needed-even those not included in the standard rebuild kits you see for sale.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 6:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Need to check the brake fluid level at least once every 500 miles. Better every 300 miles.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 9:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
"I have recently been driving the car and brakes seem to be working fine"

Let me get this straight. You had a near death experience but after driving it again, it "seems" fine?
You are a brave man. I used to know a guy that dated women reminiscent of that :)
His tavern stories were never boring!

Posted on: 2015/1/13 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
64Avanti Quote:
Let me get this straight. You had a near death experience but after driving it again, it "seems" fine?
You are a brave man. I used to know a guy that dated women reminiscent of that.

No, that attitude is a death wish.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/1/13 12:22
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
At the proving grounds, weren't they called test drivers?

Posted on: 2015/1/13 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Well I drove the car yesterday for a couple of hours and the brakes worked fine-I am wondering if my mechanic over filled the master (not hard to do considering where its placed) and that was went out the tailpipe-like I said I drove it today for a couple of hours and it worked fine-pedal was right height and it stopped just fine-so I AM NOT GOING TO MESS WITH IT. And Craig I HAVE dated more than a few women like that!!!!That is why I am still SINGLE LOL!

Posted on: 2015/1/14 6:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved