Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 175

DM37, 53 Cavalier, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Keep it or scrap it?I
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I posted this in my defunct project blog. I have the engine out 288/ultramatic.
What is the best way to store these? Bolted together or separated? I have seen ultramatics stored on their bell housings. Is this ok?

Is there any value in the front suspension or should I scrap it? I plan on keeping the brake drums.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/3/23 21:35
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Re: Keep it or scrap it?I
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
I was going to recite one of my family's favorite phrases "don't throw it away, it might come in handy some day".

But I am assuming that you are talking about the frame with nothing but a firewall and windshield frame on it. That would challenge even my packrat tendencies.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 0:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
My friend Paul in Las Vegas says:

"Never, ever throw anything Packard away."

Can't say that I disagree with him.

craig

Posted on: 2015/3/24 4:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Yes but what do you do when you have packard parts, you make it known that you have them, make it know that they are cheap and NOBODY wants them, because they either want you to pay them to take them off your hands and or they want you to deliver them to them at your expense.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 6:56
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The engines will stand on end very well when they are fitted with the Ultra bell housing. You can stand the Ultra on end too, but it must be on blocks as the input shaft sticks out past the housing a bit

Posted on: 2015/3/24 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My spare 288 and transmission is set on a mover's dolly with a 4x4 block screwed to the dolly, so that the pan sits on them. That way it fits under the workbench.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
My V8 blocks stand on the bell housing end.
The twin Ultramatics I have them sitting on the pan, with the converter attached.

For the V8's I built a table out of 2x4, so the top is a work area, and the blocks and transmissions are underneath.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
The V-8's I use engine stands I get for $30. I take the wheels off the additional ones and I can stack them.

I bought the transmission stand and then just duped it for my others.

Straight 8, I had to build out of steel.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.50 KB)
17226_5511dc36390da.jpg 400X400 px

jpg  (8.39 KB)
17226_5511dc43f3dca.jpg 400X298 px

Posted on: 2015/3/24 16:51
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Since you are restoring the same model, NEVER throw away any spare parts that might be used at some point. However unlikely you might think you'll need them, always hold onto parts such as suspension components etc....its a cruel world out there to all cars, especially old ones!

Steve

Posted on: 2015/3/24 17:50
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks guys...

I guess I will disassemble the front suspension. I was hoping to not take up anymore room in the garage! So it is even worth it to keep the horizontal bars that make the wheels move when you steer as well?

Right now, my engine and trans are bolted together on furniture dollies. The whole contraption is very long. I think I can save some room separating them and putting them on their ends. Obviously that means the oil needs to be drained. Do I occasionally turn the engine and trans manually to keep them free even though they are on their ends and have no oil in them?

Posted on: 2015/3/24 20:33
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved