Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

noisy speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I'm taking some test drives in my 2106 after a bunch of work including engine and transmission rebuilds. Nothing was touched behind the dash, but we did of course disconnect the speedo cable at the transmission. I'm pretty sure I got it connected properly.

At about 20 mph the speedo starts to make noise, seemingly from the dash. Sounds like gears meshing and whining. The speedo worked fine before the rebuilds, and it seems curious to develop a noise there.

Anybody have any tips on this gremlin?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2015/5/10 22:34
 Top  Print   

Re: noisy speedometer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since the cable was disconnected and probably moved around quite a bit under the car when you took the engine and trans out I would check the cable for a twist or bend or shaper angle at one of the curves than it used to have. It might have been pushed or pulled into the dash a bit also and has a sharper curve into the speedo. It sounds as if there is some kind of kink or an angle that wasn't there before and the inner core is rubbing against the sheath. It could be under the dash or just telegraphing from the actual location.

If you have never done it, or it has been a long time then it would not hurt to pull the cable out and lube and check it for any kinks or loose strands. The inner core usually pulls out from the top and is quite dirty so if you do pull it be sure and protect the upholstery in case the cable flops. Once free, you can hold it in the middle and let the ends droop down. It should be perfectly smooth on both sides of the hold point. When you rotate it between your fingers the ends should also turn smoothly with no jerking motion. You can also lay it on a flat surface and roll the cable and should get the same smooth turning thruout the length.

It would also be a good idea to place a drop or two of oil on the speedometer shaft bushing. There should be an oil hole located in the protrusion that is shown at the end of the arrow. The hole is filled with felt so may be hard to see and is hard to get much oil in but try. Also a drop at the end of the bushing where it enters the threaded portion won't hurt.

The noise is irritating enough but don't let the situation get bad enough the needle starts jerking. Once that happens it just gets worse and can even damage the speedo if the needle is slammed into an end stop.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.02 KB)
209_55502b4266117.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/5/10 23:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Howard, I will check for kinks etc. tomorrow. I do remember moving the cable a lot during the work. I was hoping to drive it to town for a front end alignment in the morning, but sounds like I should fix the whine before something really binds up...

Posted on: 2015/5/10 23:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Has anyone run into a supplier who might have a rebuilt speedometer for the 55 400 or Caribbean? Looks like I will be hanging upside down and slashing my knuckles again. I have one or two used units but the used unit installed in my car seemed fine when I refurbished the dash but now it doesn't work. Since I do not want to ever do this again, I would,prefer to use an NOS or rebuilt unit.
I know that there are many listings in Hemmings for speedo rebuilders, I could go that route, but would prefer to not go through the delay.
If anyone has experience with a vendor who has done work on a Packard speedometer, please let me know-- in case that is the only option.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 1:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I performed some highly technical wiggling this morning and I might have felt the cable relax a bit.
Just wondering about the correct routing. I have it as shown in this photo (thanks to the poster). Cable goes behind the horns and enters the firewall at a pretty steep angle.

Is there a clamp/clip between the clip under the heater hose and the point where the cable enters the firewall?

Thanks,
Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (48.25 KB)
4217_555104c202809.jpg 672X514 px

Posted on: 2015/5/11 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I pulled the cable out from the top. Lots of lube and no apparent binding. The cable looked ok, or so I thought. Looks like a small kink right at the end of the speedo end (the lower end in the pic). It wobbles on a table top. The trans end looks much straighter with no wobble. Seems like that kink might be the problem and source of noise and for starters I should replace the cable and go from there...
Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (72.97 KB)
4217_55515655e1348.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/5/11 20:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Possibly -- but before changing the core I would experiment with redraping or rearranging the cable slightly to have the smoothest bends possible. If there are any new or reinstalled clamps pay attention that those didn't change the routing. I can't remember if there is a key or location groove on the transmission end adapter. If there was a key, since you were working under the car try loosening the adapter clamp and pull the adapter out and see if the cable wants to "unwind". If it does then rotate the cable that direction until the key will insert again. If there is no key just loosening the clamp and giving the cable a slight twist might rearrange a bend a small length under the car. You might be able to accomplish the same thing by loosening the speedo end and giving the cable a slight twist.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 20:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved